I don't think I aerated enough... anything that can be done after pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I brewed a mac & jack's clone yesterday, partial mash full boil. 75 minute boil. I topped off with probably 3/4gal of water to get just above 5gallons of wort post boil. I have a spigot on my brew kettle and I opened it up and held a strainer over my primary (ale pale) and the splashing down from that (3.5' drop) is all the aeration that I did. I pitched with White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast. Its been about 20 hrs and there is no activity in the airlock, as well as no krausen of anykind on top of the beer. I did not make a starter, I've never made one. Second time using a white labs vial, and it was sitting out for about 6hrs at 70º temps prior to pitching. It did make a satisfying "pshhh" when I uncapped it.

I'm worried that I didn't aerate enough and the yeast haven't got enough O2 to function. Is there anything I can do at this point, since I've already pitched? Is aerating it now going to oxidize the beer?

Thanks for your help guys.

RDWHAHB! A lack of aeration will just contribute to the long lag time you're seeing. The yeast will eventually get going. Give it some time. Aerating now is probably not the best thing to do. I once had a lag of 3 days...which led me to buy the O2 system I use now.

Thank you Yuri, I think I'll do just that....

(rdwhahb)

I think this beer went better than any one I've had so far. I nailed the target OG PERFECTLY, and I mashed 5.75lbs of grain, which I think is about the maximum that you can mash in a 3 gallon cooler. Why did I go 3 gallon! Why not 5!? Ahh, can't wait. :)

Latest posts

Back