I don't care what you had for supper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oo a recpie! wtf is a gingersnap! :( and where does one get juniper berries....

You never had gingersnaps as a kid ??? Having gingersnaps and a glass of milk is an instant flashback to sitting with my grandmother at her kitchen table (now part of the brewery) when I was a kid !

I'm still looking for juniper berries.

Gingersnaps + Dunkelweizen = WIN

Now that's the smartest thing you've posted all week !!! :D

You never had gingersnaps as a kid ??? Having gingersnaps and a glass of milk is an instant flashback to sitting with my grandmother at her kitchen table (now part of the brewery) when I was a kid !

I'm still looking for juniper berries.

Now that's the smartest thing you've posted all week !!! :D

I wasnt thinking of cookies :)

http://www.atlanticspice.com/article.asp

Get the vanilla beans AND the Saigon cinnamon too
That cinnamon is to die for!
Vanilla beans are CHEAP there.

I can get Vanilla beans cheaper at my local health food store than anywhere I've seen ! Saigon cinnamon I've seen around, too. I can't find the juniper berries, though. I'm going to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's next week, so I'll look there.

OK. here it is. It's long, but oh, well.

For the meat, you will need:

4# beef roast. I used blade chuck roast

Combine in a saucepan and heat without boiling:

2 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1 large onion
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
10 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

Pour hot mixture over meat in a bowl and cool. Add

One sliced lemon

Marinate for 4-5 days, turning meat once each day.

Remove meat from marinade and drain. Strain and reserve marinade.

Brown the roast slowly in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven (I used a Chef's pot).
Add 2 cups of the marinade, reserving the rest for gravy. Simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, adding more marinade if necessary. Liquid surrounding meat should be simmering, not boiling.
Remove meat to a platter and keep warm. Pour cooking liquid from kettle and reserve for gravy.

For gravy:

Melt in the kettle:
1/4 cup butter
Blend in:
1/4 cup flour
Heat until bubbling and golden brown. Add
3 cups liquid
Boil for 1-2 minutes. Add
1/2 cup sour cream
Cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes.Do not boil.

Serve meat and gravy with potato pancakes:

2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp pepper
2 eggs
2 tbsp grated onion
1 tbsp minced parsely
3 cups finely grated potatoes

Combine all ingredients and cook like regular pancakes.

Enjoy!

Bernie

Dammit. Now I NEED gingersnaps... so f*cking good... *drool*

Thanks Bernie! Yours looks less involved than mine. Many of the same ingredients, but without the veggies in the marinade.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to make it with noodles or spaetzle,(I've got a killer recipe for spaetzle, but it's a PITA to make!). SWMBO and her kids may convince me to make potato pancakes now, though.

No gingersnaps in the gravy????

Dammit. Now I NEED gingersnaps... so f*cking good... *drool*

I'm making mine next weekend, and bought the gingersnaps yesterday. SWMBO had never had one until I gave her a couple yesterday. Her first words, after tasting them:
"We're gonna have to keep these in the house from now on!"

Her first words, after tasting them:
"We're gonna have to keep these in the house from now on!"

They are a cruel mistress, my friend. Make sure you buy some in a resealable bag, otherwise it's really easy to justify eating an entire bag because they might go stale... Not that I know this from experience... *munch munch munch*

I found the juniper berries at Whole Foods, and had the Sauerbraten last night. It went over like gangbusters! SWMBO, her daughter, and I polished off better than half of a three lb. roast, and we have revised out Christmas dinner, for when my dad and his wife visit.

Thanks for the inspiration, Bernie!!! :mug:

Got a chuck roast, whole cloves, and sour cream yesterday and plan to start the marinating tonight. Biggest chuck roast they had was only 2.8#.

I've never even tasted sauerbraten before. Is the meat supposed to be fork tender like pot roast? What is the consistency of the sauce? Medium-thin?

Got a chuck roast, whole cloves, and sour cream yesterday and plan to start the marinating tonight. Biggest chuck roast they had was only 2.8#.

I've never even tasted sauerbraten before. Is the meat supposed to be fork tender like pot roast? What is the consistency of the sauce? Medium-thin?

I used a bottom round roast, and it was very tender...like buttah, according to SWMBO. The gravy was thick, but as I said earlier, mine is different from Bernie's, and didn't call for sour cream.

OK, made it last night. Love the roast, hate the gravy. I'm just not a sour/vinegar lover by any stretch. I typ don't like German potato salad or that vinegary red cabbage. I actually made the gravy using half the amount of roux because I wanted to taste it as-is and then add crumbled gingersnap cookies if I didn't like the original gravy. The gingersnaps made it better imo but it's still a vinegar-bomb. Tonight I'm gonna make a sort of Stroganoff sauce (but still using the gingersnaps) for the rest of the roast. Using crumbled gingersnaps to thicken a sauce is a trick I'd never tried, pretty cool.

I'm not giving up yet though. I hope to try it again but sub some beer for almost all of the vinegar and then when I make the gravy use a mixture of beef stock and reserved cooking juices. Just enough to give it a nice tanginess but not such intense vinegar. Sort of a sauerbraten-for-the-uninitiated.

The meat was extremely fork-tender. I used chuck roast but with all the marinade time I think I might try round next time. The chuck was almost too fork-tender.

I just made egg-noodles instead of the potato pancakes. I'll make the pancakes someday soon.

OK, made it last night. Love the roast, hate the gravy. I'm just not a sour/vinegar lover by any stretch. I typ don't like German potato salad or that vinegary red cabbage. I actually made the gravy using half the amount of roux because I wanted to taste it as-is and then add crumbled gingersnap cookies if I didn't like the original gravy. The gingersnaps made it better imo but it's still a vinegar-bomb. Tonight I'm gonna make a sort of Stroganoff sauce (but still using the gingersnaps) for the rest of the roast. Using crumbled gingersnaps to thicken a sauce is a trick I'd never tried, pretty cool.

I'm not giving up yet though. I hope to try it again but sub some beer for almost all of the vinegar and then when I make the gravy use a mixture of beef stock and reserved cooking juices. Just enough to give it a nice tanginess but not such intense vinegar. Sort of a sauerbraten-for-the-uninitiated.

The meat was extremely fork-tender. I used chuck roast but with all the marinade time I think I might try round next time. The chuck was almost too fork-tender.

I just made egg-noodles instead of the potato pancakes. I'll make the pancakes someday soon.

Instead of subbing beer for the vinegar(the vinegar is essentil for the marinade), try using a 1/2 red wine 1/2 apple cider vinegar mixture. Also, make the full amount of roux. That will also help cut some of the sour punch. My roux recipe for this call for 1 tbsp. of sugar also. That certaily helps.

Just don't give up. Keep tweaking until you make it YOUR recipe.

Thanks kjung but no amount of roux would have cut the vinegery taste to a level that was even close to tolerable for me. I just don't like vinegar. I wanted to try it 'close' but this just won't be edible for me unless I cut WAY back on the vinegar. I was thinking of using beer instead in an attempt to keep some acidity without all the vinegar flavor. I did try adding sugar to the gravy as well.

Just don't give up. Keep tweaking until you make it YOUR recipe.
Yes!:mug: This is what I intend to do. In all my years of cooking soups/sauces in restaurants I never made any german recipes so it's a new frontier for me.

Bump. Made this again tonight. It is amazing how much better it tastes with a new SWMBO to help cook and share it with. Right now I am having a bit of the Uralt for after supper. Perfect...........

12050.gif

Back