I converted from propane to natural gas. Best upgrade in a while!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somekindofnick

Reaction score
I finished my first brew this past weekend with the natural gas setup. It is so much better than propane, and I completely recommend the upgrade for anyone considering it. I did two 5 gallon batches, and never once had to worry about changing propane tanks.

My setup:
Quick disconnect valve and hose to a Blichmann burner with the natural gas adapter. To be fair re: DIY, I hired a plumber to run the natural gas line, but I assembled the parts and finalized the setup.

Since I wasn't able to find any guides to convert to natural gas brewing, I put together a guide here: http://e30dohc.com/wordpress/?p=1. I list the parts needed, what I paid, and I link to where I got them.

I'm surprised you would even have to worry about changing a propane tank from brewing two 5 gallon batches...

Interesting post though. Any thoughts about why natural gas seems to be the better performer?

I'm surprised you would even have to worry about changing a propane tank from brewing two 5 gallon batches...

Interesting post though. Any thoughts about why natural gas seems to be the better performer?

I averaged 5 brews per tank, so you're right changing tanks may not have been needed. Nonetheless, it is annoying to lose your boil because the propane is running low and the flame starts fading.

Plus, natural gas is cheap compared to the cost of transporting and exchanging LP tanks.

I also found that the LP flame needed more tending and adjustment, whereas the natural gas flame was constant and required no adjustment.

It's not the first couple of batches out of the tank that are the risk. For me it was always the fourth. Sometimes I'd make it through, sometimes not. Not having natural gas as an option to consider (rural area) I went electric to save money & improve reliability. Though we generally experience a couple of power outages per year, none so far while brewing.

It's not the first couple of batches out of the tank that are the risk. For me it was always the fourth. Sometimes I'd make it through, sometimes not. Not having natural gas as an option to consider (rural area) I went electric to save money & improve reliability. Though we generally experience a couple of power outages per year, none so far while brewing.

I like electric, but it was less practical between wiring a new 220V circuit, converting equipment, and the cost of electricity.

Back