I can't believe I did that....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
Thought we could use a humor thread to laugh at silly crap we've pulled on a brew day.

I had a great one yesterday that honestly I have no clue what the heck I did but it resulted in a shattered hydrometer (but at least I got my OG first lol) all over the kitchen. For the record... they pretty much explode.

I'd gotten my readings, jotted in my notes.... cleaned everything, turned around to put a few things back in a drawer, hydrometer was still in my tube on the table and boom there they went.

Hopefully the new one gets here fast!!!

I squeezed a grapefruit's juice into the bottling bucket after adding priming sugar without accounting for sugars in the fruit. First bottle nearly exploded, but the rest "seem" okay.

I invited some friends over to help me christen my Kegerator and share a keg of my beer. I looked at the gauge on the CO2 tank and thought, "Sure, I've got enough to last".
After about 20 minutes the gauge(which was stuck as it turns out) snaps down to nearly 0lbs left....No problem, I have a place not far from home that does refills, Except my tank is out of date and needs recertification before they will touch it........We enjoyed my beer by siphoning it out of the corny into our glasses........I can't believe I did that!

I thought last summer that Watermelon pulp with two 24h pectase and sulfite cycles before racking on active mead would be a good idea.
I think I can still smell it in my basement sometimes...

I thought last summer that Watermelon pulp with two 24h pectase and sulfite cycles before racking on active mead would be a good idea.
I think I can still smell it in my basement sometimes...

Eww keeps coming back to haunt you! Hopefully it goes away never to return again soon!!

I guess I have a new one..... I've run out of carboys. Yep. It actually happened.

I had a 5 gallon batch of Tupelo traditional mead going full ferment. Thing is, it didn't look like it was active at all. So I decided to use a drill powered stirrer to mix it up. Started slow at first...and nothing. Ok. Next time I hit it hard.

Ever seen a high school volcano experiment? Or hit a beer bottle on top with another bottle? Imagine that WITH A 5 GALLON BUCKET!!!!! It just. would. not. stop. It saturated carpet and baseboards. Smelled like sour vanilla sheet cake until everything was replaced.

Anyhoo. $10,000 later I had new hard wood floors. Top that.

"Mic drop".

On second though, please don't top that.

My "worst moment" wasn't too bad, accidentally pushed slightly too hard on a marginally sized air-lock bung and pushed it clear into the fermentor.....no harm, no foul, had a spare - it sat there for the main ferment, no off flavors, biggest hassle was fishing it out with a bent piece of coat hanger. OH YEAH, another "moment" was when I was moving a carboy full of my house pale ale to prepare for bottling , during severe allergy season, and sneezed, resulting in slightly bumping the vessel against the concrete/cement laundry tub we had in the basement, knocking the botttom out and wasting 5 gals of perfectly good PA ....luckily, our old basement when we lived in MI has cement floors with strategically located drains in the floor, so, cleanup wasn't TOO bad, just such a waste....note to self....DON" SNEEZE, or put it down first ;)

I got one this weekend.... went to open an amber that I'd bottled a few months back and imagine the shock seeing sparkling where it was dead flat when it hit the bottles. Was between 1.010 - 1.020 and hadn't moved for 3 weeks, thought it was just settled where it was going to finish..... oops.

Yeah... not good. No bombs but that just turned into the base for my blueberry.

Hopefully I can save it.

Yet to break a hydrometer but I have broke a few glass jugs and plastic tubes for the canes. Normally due to drinking and brewing related incidents (otherwise known as DBI'S) or drinking while brewing ( DWB'S) The worst incident being when my back gave out (two broken vertebrae) and I was moving a glass carboy. After that I bid farewell to 5 gallon carboys and hello to plastic water jugs.

Enjoy that infection thread. Seeing as the other ones are all in the general beer, brew brewing and partial mash forums and this one's in mead... I think that does split it out as some folks might not care to pay attention in beer if they're doing mead alone.

Back