I am like a kid with a new toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightstalker

Reaction score
Last year I tried to grow some Cascade and Fuggles with NO luck. All the rhizomes rotted in the ground. This year I said I would get one rhizome and try again. It is Columbus. I got a BIG pot that I normally plant my herbs and pepper plants in. Anyways I doctor'd the soil up with Miracle Grow garden soil, some regular potting soil and some local dirt. I planted it about 8 days again and was expecting to see some sort of life. Nothing for days. Today .. well I got me a new weedeater FINALLY .. Stihl FS56RC if you were wondering :rockin: and then decided it was time to brew a batch. American Brown Ale .. yes I know you were wondering about that too. Well about my second hop addition I look over and what do I see. This little green sprout. :rockin::ban::mug::tank: .. Holy cow .. I freaked out LOLOLOL ... I can not wait to see it grow even more. Pretty thick little spout too. At first i thought it was some of my asparugus LOLOLOL.

OK that is really all I wanted to say. I just had to tell people I knew would be almost as excited as I am. :mug:

I just planted 2 rhizomes today and I know I will be hovering over them. Congrats on the growth!

Oh bud let me tell ya. It was like watching grass grow .. water boil .. you name it. I was chompin at the bit waiting for this thing to sprout. Now that it did I have to figure out a support for the vines. :)

This year I spread out my rhizomes among friends and family to grow, however I started Nugget (left) and Centennial (right) in dollar store pots with standard potting soil. So far the Nugget seems to really be taking off, knock on wood. Watching these on a daily basis!

Nugget.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Nice. I think I may just leave this one in the container. I think its a 15or 20 gal container so it should be plenty of room for what ever it needs .. I think???

Next year I may try another variety. I just need to do more research and figure out which ones grow well here in TN.

Latest posts

Back