I am just about done with you, Will Ferrell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
The other night I'm cruising through Direct TV's typically $hitty selection of pay per view movies, looking for something watchable. I have a rare night with the wife and kids out of town. Just me and the dog. Hmm...what are my options? Some parody of 300, a Victorian period piece, something with the Rock, and...Semi-Pro with Will Ferrell.

I thought the commercials with him were really funny and I'm thinking this could be good. 1970's, ABA, big hair, gold chains, free love - it's going to be like Anchorman, with hoops!

This movie is awful. I didn't laugh once. It's really, really stupid, and not stupid funny, either. I loved Old School, Anchorman, and his Saturday Night Live stuff. But, it seems like he's going downhill. I guess he's just cashing in? But c'mon Will, you CAN'T TELL ME that you didn't know that Semi Pro was sucky after reading the script. Did you read the script? Was there a script? Actually, there probably wasn't.

You get one more chance, Will Ferrell. Then I'm done.

I agree with you his movies are getting worse. And I don;t think he agrees to anything unless it involves him streaking or parading in his froot of the looms.

Hey Will! Put some freakin clothes on ya' bastid.

That's disappointing to hear. I loved Old School, and his part in Wedding Crashers. He does seem to pretty much only play one role in all his movies though. Guess I'll skip it.

I thought Blades of Glory was pretty hilarious, but more for Napoleon Dynamite's character than Ferrell.

Stranger Than Fiction was really good. So was Punch Drunk Love.

Blades of Glory, Old School and bit parts / cameos in other's movies he's awesome...And of course SNL

The rest I think aren't funny...

There were parts of semi-pro that definitely had me laughing but I didn't love it. You guys haven't even mentioned kicking and screaming. It was so awful. I don't know who thought that movie would be a good idea.

He's hit or miss for me. I love several of his movies but I hate several of his movies. It seems like every good movie he does is countered by another bad one...

As comics gain rep and fame they start to think they can write their own stuff. They start to think they are funny no matter what.
I think Will Ferrell is funny when he uses funny writers.

Stranger Than Fiction was really good. So was Punch Drunk Love.

That was Adam Sandler in the second one, but yeah, I liked that movie a lot.

I think Ferrel is due for a change. You're right, he's turned out to be quite 1-dimensional in everything I've seen him in. Same thing happened to Mike myers. His charcter got stale and everyone got sick of him, but that's all he knows how to be so his movies suck on toast.

Look at how well it's worked out for Bill Murray. He's now funny in a completely different level than he was in the '80s. I'd say Sandler did a great job with spanglish, too (though that love guru movie looked like garbage).

"I had ribs earlier, that's why I'm doing this."

"Audrey! Look at Me! Look at Me!" - my computer says this everyt ime someone emails me.

I think Ferrel is due for a change. You're right, he's turned out to be quite 1-dimensional in everything I've seen him in. Same thing happened to Mike myers. His charcter got stale and everyone got sick of him, but that's all he knows how to be so his movies suck on toast.

Look at how well it's worked out for Bill Murray. He's now funny in a completely different level than he was in the '80s. I'd say Sandler did a great job with spanglish, too (though that love guru movie looked like garbage).

I think you nailed it on the head. I'll get semi-pro on netflix and give it a shot, but not expect anything of it.

If you think about all of Ferrel's funny movies, he has a good cast around him. He's not just a 1 man funny crew.

So Will Ferrel was in Punch Drunk Love and Adam Sandler was in the Love Guru. Sweet!

As for Ferrell, it's all been downhill since Elf. :D

I'm going to give him a chance in the remake of Land of the Lost (yes, he's playing Marshall).

Oh, and I thought he was pretty good as Liepkin in The Producers.

The fact that I completely forgot about Elf reinforces, for me, how far he's fallen.

I'm going to give Stranger than Fiction a shot.

Stranger Than Fiction was really funny and at the same time a lot more serious than I thought it would be. I liked it but in general I'm not a huge fan of Will's movies.

I thought semi-pro was fiarly funny, but not a breat movie. Of course, I didtn' have high expectations to start with, as I'm not much of a WF fan anyway. And I'm from Mich, so seeing some Flint are stuff on the TV was a bit interesting.

Stranger than Fiction was sleepy-boring to me. Never saw Anchorman. That just looked bad IMO. And I'll be the first to say that I LIKE bad movies.

I don't see him getting out of his rut anytime soon. What you cna't do with quality, make up for in Quantity.

cow_bell.jpg

The other night I'm cruising through Direct TV's typically $hitty selection of pay per view movies, looking for something watchable. I have a rare night with the wife and kids out of town. Just me and the dog. Hmm...what are my options? Some parody of 300, a Victorian period piece, something with the Rock, and...Semi-Pro with Will Ferrell.

I thought the commercials with him were really funny and I'm thinking this could be good. 1970's, ABA, big hair, gold chains, free love - it's going to be like Anchorman, with hoops!

This movie is awful. I didn't laugh once. It's really, really stupid, and not stupid funny, either. I loved Old School, Anchorman, and his Saturday Night Live stuff. But, it seems like he's going downhill. I guess he's just cashing in? But c'mon Will, you CAN'T TELL ME that you didn't know that Semi Pro was sucky after reading the script. Did you read the script? Was there a script? Actually, there probably wasn't.

You get one more chance, Will Ferrell. Then I'm done.

If you are giving him one more shot do not see Step Brothers. I laughed hard on two occassions and I could tell that the rest of the theater was very quiet during the entire movie. It seemed like it had potential but fell short, but that is my two cents.

Semi-Pro - Not so good
Anchorman - Great
Blades of Glory - Good, but not great
Stranger Than Fiction - Great, but not as a pure comedy
Talledega Nights - Awesome
Old School - Good
Elf - Awesome
Zoolander - Awesome ("I invented the keyboard tie!!")

Well, I guess I had semi-pro next in my queue because it showed up last night. I laughed like twice (and I had low expectations). The movie was entertaining, but it was not funny by any means.

Regarding Step Brothers, I'll give you the test:

If you found John C. Riley hilarious in Boogie Nights you're a candidate for finding Step Brothers funny.

If you found Ferrell funny in Old School, even better.

I thought (and it seemed the rest of the theatre) Step-Brothers was pretty damn funny... I do recall saying that John C. Riley was funnier after it was over, but Ferrel was pretty good too IMO. Some of his funny was b/c he was playing off his cast (as discussed previously he is at his best with a good cast) - aka Riley.

Stranger than Fiction is a really good flick IMO... and it shows he's not totally 'one dimensional' IMO. Definitely not pure comedy, but quirky funny at times and a good movie overall.

Old School, Anchorman, and Talladega Nights were great IMO. Elf is 'cute' for lack of a better term... the rest are just ehhh.

Edit: Wedding Crashers is also one of my favorites - but Ferrel's part is so small I don't really consider it one of his movies - But VV is actually pretty decent in this one...

Great Will Ferrell movies: Blades of Glory, Elf, Old School, Stranger Than Fiction, Anchorman and A Night at the Roxbury were friggin great. (He was great in Zoolander too)

Kicking and Screaming and Talladega Nights had their moments but weren't that good.

Bewitched was horrible.

I haven't seen Semi-Pro but I heard it was pretty bad. Everything I've heard about Step Brothers goes along with what Bobby said above. I'll probably watch it soon.

Talladega Nights had their moments but weren't that good.

I really liked Talledaga Nights, some of the satire/mocking was great.

I know a few people that didn't like the movie because they felt the satire hit a little too close to home, though.

[ame="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2720"]good Ferrell clip[/ame]

I bring this thread back to life!

I watched Step Brothers a couple of night ago and I have to admit that I laughed my ass off. Of course most of the time my wife just sat there and looked at me like I was crazy, but that was the hardest I've laughed in a long time.

Well worth a rental, and I found it more amusing than the last couple of movies that he's done.

"You wouldn't send a clown to fix a leak in the john...so you do you let these hooligans tare down the biz?"

I enjoyed step brothers, but wasn't that impressed. His recent movies have all been bad IMO.

51999805_b811fe653d.jpg

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it? I would."

Just my .02 but I thought Step Brothers was rubbish. I think I laughed twice the whole movie. I wanted it to be good, sadly it was not. I'm a big Ferrell fan too.

All he seems to do now is play the same part, but in a different plot.

SWMBO and I are both big Ferrell fans and the two we argue the most about are Taladega Nights and Blades of Glory. I say best ever, she says worst ever. But to be fair, neither of us have seen Semi-Pro.

I maintain that Bewitched was the worst, I can't bear to see him in anything worse than that, which im sure semi pro was.

swmbo didn't think stepbro's was that funny, but I laughed my ass off. I watched it again the next morning

His intro skating scene to Billy Squier in Blades of Glory was totally epic, but it all went downhill from there.

Latest posts

Back