I am brewing a batch tomrw that I'd like to be ready in 18 days. Ferm sched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
So, I am brewing a batch tomorrow and would really like it done and ready in 18 days... what fermentation schedule would you guys recommend? I am making a fruit beer so will be using a secondary. I'm thinking a week in primary, then a week on the frozen fruit in the secondary, then cold crash for a few days and then carb... any feedback, tips, advice on this? New to fruit beer so unfamiliar if this schedule would work!? Thanks

Thanks, the 5 days total (including the 1 day cold) on the fruit is enough to get something out of it eh? Pro/con for having it on fruit for a given amount of time ?

If you have a deadline, like getting something ready for a party, I'd skip the fruit and do a simple ale. There are just too many variables that come into play when using fruit to make an accurate prediction of when it will be ready. If you really must have a fruit beer, you may want to consider brewing a base beer and adding fruit extract/flavors at packaging.

Thanks, the 5 days total (including the 1 day cold) on the fruit is enough to get something out of it eh? Pro/con for having it on fruit for a given amount of time ?

Even winemakers only ferment on the fruit (grapes, berries, whatever) 5 days or less. It's plenty of time to break down the fruit. Probably 3 days is more than enough.

I'd ferment in primary until done, rack on the fruit for a few days, rack into keg and carb. So, probably like 5/5/carb.

The only time I made a fruit beer it was ready to drink in your time frame, but it didn't reach really good taste for about 6-8 weeks. When it reached maturity it was very, very good though.

Would racking directly onto frozen fruit or thawed and sanitized be better , if I'm on said time crunch ?

Sorry I'm late to the party. How did brew day go?

I put fruit in wheat beers all the time, and I recently did my first gose that got cherries. I always use frozen fruit. I oxygenate well, pitch a good starter, add my fruit on day 3 of active fermentation right into primary, cold crash on day 12, and keg on day 14. I only deviate when I'm busy/out of the house and physically not able to perform a step. I've made every fruit beer I've ever done this way for years (I'd guess 20+ batches) and they all come out fantastic. I recently started dry hopping on my fruit addition day, ala NEIPA style, and they're turning out great too. Good luck!

Went well! Made 2 batches, do you sanitize the fruit in any way or just toss em in frozen ?

I just let it thaw, mash the bags up really good by hand, then sanitize the bags and a pair of scissors.

The theory is that the fruit was already washed then flash frozen so there should be very little chance of contamination. Adding on Day 3 means you should have alcohol in your beer at this point further decreasing the chance that anything nasty can grow.

Another question about this... would I keep the raspberries in the secondary fermenter during the cold crash? Or rack to another carboy? Seems another racking would be a lot of transferring and risky

Back