I am a cheap bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
I have a Fujitsu C340 laptop. 233 PII. The battery had died a long time ago, and there are no replacements. I've been using this thing in the kitchen with a wireless card for quite a while. I should toss it and buy a new one. Some weeks ago, I noticed that the A/C inverter changed the voltage from 120 A/C to 16 V DC. I had built a battery pack for it using 1 1/4 PVC to hold a bank of D cell batteries. The bios would start, but when the hard drive tried to start, there wasn't enough to make it go and it would shut down. Wish I'd taken pics of it, it actually looked like a pipe bomb connected to a laptop. Probably not the best thing to take into McDo's to use the wi-fi. Anyway, this week, I noticed that my Ryobi drill, flashlight ect. used 18V batteries. Hmmm. wonder if it'd work. Temperarily wired one up......

ryobi.jpg

There it is, running off of a Ryobi battery. Gonna play with it for a while and if it works, I'll build something to dock the battery in and my ole laptop i'll be a road warrior again.

Allan

Well, the battery died. Only got about a half hour out of it before it needs recharged. Still, that might not be so bad. The original was only good for 2 hrs max. I got a car charger for these, and 3 of them, so it should be ok to use to surf the 'net at Mac Do during lunch.

Allan

Back