Hypothetically Speaking....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelou6

Reaction score
If you had $500 to spend on a new piece(s) of brewing equipment, what would you choose? As for myself, I can't seem to get a stainless steel fermenter out of my head.

There's no way to answer that question without more information. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different style of brewing, everyone has different equipment already on hand, everyone has different needs.

If you were a n00b and all you had was a bucket, a carboy, an airlock and a racking cane, I'd say that dropping 5 bennies on a goddamned conical would be a terrible idea.

On the other hand, if you already had a 3-tier pumped sculpture, a dozen fermenters, a pimp chilling system and a sweet grain mill, then it might be a smart purchase.

So, just ask yourself: what do I need the most? Personally, I can ferment in a carboy just fine; I'd love a sweet SS conical, sure, but I'd love a 3-tier sculpture with march pump more...or a kegging setup. So I don't really need a $500 conical just yet.

Chest freezer for fermentation control... but as Evan stated, that's what I need personally, if I didn't have the equipment I have already, I'm sure it'd be something else... like a kettle, or MLT and so on.

Evan hit it right on the head.

For me right now, with an extra $500 I'd get a chest freezer to lager and condition waiting kegs but that's only because I've got most of the other things that I need to make good brew.

Actually, the chest freezer probably wouldn't be $500, so I'd go get another burner as well. I brew multiple batches in a day fairly often and it's a real PITA heating strike/sparge water and doing a boil with only one burner.

I'd love a conical as much as the next guy, but ss conicals are for those who have run out of other brew toys to spend money on. :)

I'd buy a chest freezer and build a nice kegerator. As mentioned, conicals are nice... but I'm not convinced that they would have a significantly positive impact on my beer or on the process of making it. Now, a conical with a cooling system......

Evan! said:
There's no way to answer that question without more information. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different style of brewing, everyone has different equipment already on hand, everyone has different needs.

If you were a n00b and all you had was a bucket, a carboy, an airlock and a racking cane, I'd say that dropping 5 bennies on a goddamned conical would be a terrible idea.

On the other hand, if you already had a 3-tier pumped sculpture, a dozen fermenters, a pimp chilling system and a sweet grain mill, then it might be a smart purchase.

So, just ask yourself: what do I need the most? Personally, I can ferment in a carboy just fine; I'd love a sweet SS conical, sure, but I'd love a 3-tier sculpture with march pump more...or a kegging setup. So I don't really need a $500 conical just yet.

There really isn't a "right" answer to this question. I just wanted to start a conversation. I do appreciate the responses though, I can be somewhat stubborn once I get an idea in my head. Hmm..3-tier with pump....now that's an idea!

Kegging setup and a second burner to preheat sparge water. I could cut my per batch time in half with those two items:)

#1 think if you don't have it should be a kegging system. #2 should the equipment to make the jump to AG.

About the only thing I don't have right now is a mill. Many things I could upgrade, though.

i would definitely use 500 bones to make the switch to all grain equipment, 3 tier type deal, burners, kettles (keggles), etc.

a good chunk of the fund would probably have to go towards something nice for SWMBO to justify the equipment purchase though....lol:cross:

bigjohnmilford said:
that's alot of brewjobs :ban: :tank:

Should be able to get a couple of Cream Ales with that many assistants. But I wouldn't trust their Edmund Fitzgerald clone. I'm willing to bet it'd be WAYYY infected. In fact, anything other than a Cream Ale and you risk discovering a "staph" infection.

Lou,
After we brew on the 17th with all you're new equipment I'm sure you'll be able to answer that question yourself....however a three tier system vs a chest freezer is a hard call...but that conical you emailed me was awesome too....

scott

Back