hypothetical: fermentation chamber set too low, too cold for my Belgian Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
There is a bit of info out there about what you can expect above recommended temps with Ale yeasts but what if you were too cool? Just hypothetically, say you had set your STC1000 to 11c and not 21c and put a dark belgian in there for like... 2 months.
Highly unlikely, I know, but lets just say that this did happen. Lets also say that one used the recipe at the end of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/planning-fruity-imperial-belgian-stout-fibs-479368/ and that tasting is very booze forward a few notes of fruit and a little spicy on the tongue. I guess the tasting tells me that it is okay. I mean would tell a person in that situation. I am obviously to smart to mess up something as simple as an STC1000! Just wondering what you might expect and if there is anything I should keep an eye for.
Thanks

I'm somewhat surprised that it hypothetically fermented. I would figure that the yeast would go dormant at those temps.

My first thought was, "I wonder if OP used 1762?" Guess what? :D

So you had serious fermentation at 9 hours? You must have pitched hot, no? Certainly before it got down to 51-52F. That stuff ferments pretty well at cool temps. It probably didn't attenuate like it would have at higher temps, but I'm not surprised that things went on, albeit very slowly. What is the gravity sitting at now?

Yes, it was pitched warmer and went nuts. I've not taken the gravity yet but I've corrected the temp and now there is no air lock activity at all and no sweetness to taste.

Back