Hydroponics water chiller vs Glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWebb

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have considered water chillers in place of glycol. I've been using a water chiller similar to those used in hydroponics for over a year, and able to get fermentation temps into the upper 30's. Ambient air temp is around 72, I use SS Brewtwech 7 gallon brew buckets with immersible chiller coils.

With ambient into the 90s I can still keep 3 7 gallon fermenters at 66. When it’s much cooler, I can get three into the 40s, this is with a 1/10 hp aquarium chiller.

With ambient into the 90s I can still keep 3 7 gallon fermenters at 66. When it’s much cooler, I can get three into the 40s, this is with a 1/10 hp aquarium chiller.

Yeah, I just happened upon a water chiller while at a hydroponics store looking to grow vegetables indoors by my front window without dirt. I saw this water chiller, the sales guy said it would chill water down to the mid 30's. I told him about my home brewing, and he said he had a used one for sale. I don't lager anything, but I am confident that I could very easily. Both my fermenters have a heat source attached and I can raise the temps to 100º if I wanted. I'm sold on these water chillers, much cheaper than a glycol system, and they work efficiently provided you have the right set up; well insulated water vessel, insulated water lines, and indoor ambient temps around 75º. Right now, I'm cold crashing one at 39º, the other is fermenting at 56º.

Nice, what size chiller did you end up with? My friend has a 1/4 HP for me that I hope I can fix, which will change my capabilities tremendously.

With the Wifi ITC-308s I can adjust as needed and watch temps.

Screenshot_20190710-121833.png

I'm using a 1/4 HP chiller, submersible pumps, hooked to 2 STC-1000's for heating and cooling. I can stay within a degree of my desired temp.

I'm using a 1/4 HP chiller, submersible pumps, hooked to 2 STC-1000's for heating and cooling. I can stay within a degree of my desired temp.

Hi,

Do you have to put your submersible pump in a cooler filled with water before the connection to the fermenter? Sorry if it's seems stupid but I don't just quite get the picture of the whole setup. That'd be appreciated if you can elaborate on how the whole thing works, or share a picture if you can.

Thanks!

Just bought a 1/4 hp unit for a great price on amazon. Woo!

Yes. I keep a 50 quart cooler full of cold water. I have a temp controller on each fermenter that turns a pump on and off. Eventually I will build a manifold system that will take only one pump and use solenoids to control flow.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_180752.jpg
    IMG_20190525_180752.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 285
Thank you for clarifying, that's what I was thinking.

after posting this morning, I continued my quest on the best way to chill my fermenters and I stumbled on this new glycol chiller on Kickstarter campaign:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftabrew/the-stasis-craft-brewing-technology-for-homebrewers

I am thinking going that route, This looks really good and not too costly .

Perhaps you can educate me about this kick starter. What is the refund policy of the product received if doesn't perform as described? What is the warranty on the product? Are there reviews from verified purchasers?

I ended up buying a glycol unit from MoreBeer for $680 after a 15% discount. Hopefully, this weekend I will be using it for the first time. It was $80 more than the kick stater, but at least it is availAble now, has a history of reviews and is backed by MoreBeer's warranty. If it doesn't meet my expectation or is flawed, I will return it.

I'm not so sure you will have the same choices with the kick starter....

Hi,

Do you have to put your submersible pump in a cooler filled with water before the connection to the fermenter? Sorry if it's seems stupid but I don't just quite get the picture of the whole setup. That'd be appreciated if you can elaborate on how the whole thing works, or share a picture if you can.

Thanks!
Yes, both pumps are in a small, 3 gallon cooler running about 2 gallons, plus the water in the chiller reservoir itself. In other words, I'm re-circulating about 4 - 5 gallons of water through the chiller. My normal fermenting temp is 65º, so I set the chiller to 60. It's pretty efficient. All my lines are insulated, I added more insulation to the small cooler reservoir. Each pump is controlled by a Bayite temp controller. Each fermenter has a mylar heating pad attached for heat control also. Pretty simple setup.

Yes, both pumps are in a small, 3 gallon cooler running about 2 gallons, plus the water in the chiller reservoir itself. In other words, I'm re-circulating about 4 - 5 gallons of water through the chiller. My normal fermenting temp is 65º, so I set the chiller to 60. It's pretty efficient. All my lines are insulated, I added more insulation to the small cooler reservoir. Each pump is controlled by a Bayite temp controller. Each fermenter has a mylar heating pad attached for heat control also. Pretty simple setup.

Thanks for sharing. I ended up buying the stasis glycol chiller. As mentionned on the kickstarter page, I should get it in november. I hope it is going to be a good product.

Back