Hydrometer's hit the FG after three days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
I'm not going to have a chance to bottle until this coming weekend (about 10 days after brew-day) so this is more of a theoritical question; but I was wondering if it would hurt to go ahead and bottle now that I've reached my FG after three days.

I know we're supposed to trust the yeast and wait until it hits FG if the recipe says 10 days and at 10 we're still pretty high SG, but can you do the same and bottle early if you've already hit the FG? I'd assume I'd want to bottle condition a little longer since the beer didn't condition much in the primary, but that would just be to avoid green beer flavors and not to avoid any problems, right?

I was brewing EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Brewed on the 29th and today after not seeing much activity (first time fermenting in a bucket instead of a glass carboy) I checked the SG and saw I was at 1.010 (expected 1.011 FG).

Common advice is test your gravity four days in a row and if it doesn't change it's done. Common advice is also that it may be a good idea to leave on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks for peak flavor.

Yup let her sit. Though I wouldnt check gravity four days in a row, that is a lot of opportunity for infection. Maybe once and then again four days later.

But if you just let it sit four weeks it'll be done.

Its a basic pale ale, bottle it up next weekend if you like and let it condition in the bottles until its carbed and you like the flavor profile. No need to wait 3-4 weeks for this type of beer.

Thanks for the advice. I normally don't check my SG this early, except I was concerned since I hadn't seen any activity in almost four days.

Latest posts

Back