Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first batch and I have a few questions. I'm brewing a Hefe wheat beer so the DVD I watched told me to take a gravity reading before I add the yeast then it said to keep the sample in an empty bottle on the side. Next I added the yeast to the main fermenter and sealed it up. Now my question is I know to take another reading in around 2 weeks but do I use the sample I have on the side to take the reading or do I need to use the main fermenter to take a sample. And why did I save the other sample on the on the side. They said something about satellite brewing on the DVD anyone have some info

Also if I took a reading of the original sample that has no yeast will the gravity change or does wild yeast get into it and ferment after a few weeks

you can either drink or discard the sample after you have checked the gravity and then take another sample in a few weeks using a wine thief or turkey baster (well sanitized of course)

you don't want to pour it back in because you risk contamination

the yeast affect gravity only in their conversion of sugar to alcohol but you don't need to do any adjustments to your OG after you add yeast

if you do a partial boil and add water to top off before you pitch you will likely get an inaccurate reading because of the difficulties in mixing water and wort properly

i believe that satellite brewing is used by large scale or commercial brewers to determine what FG a sample will arrive at but that is based on a sample that has yeast added to it - there isn't much benefit to the homebrewer AFAIK

Oh thanks dud I'll just toss the sample iv been saving so I'll just take another reading from the fermenter in about 1-2 weeks

Keep in mind your beer isn't done fermenting untill you get two identical FG readings taken three days apart. Pez.

I've always just put it right back in after taking a bit out for tasting. Never had an issue with contamination. Then again, if you aren't sanitizing properly, then maybe you have something to worry about.

you can either drink or discard the sample after you have checked the gravity and then take another sample in a few weeks using a wine thief or turkey baster (well sanitized of course)

you don't want to pour it back in because you risk contamination

the yeast affect gravity only in their conversion of sugar to alcohol but you don't need to do any adjustments to your OG after you add yeast

if you do a partial boil and add water to top off before you pitch you will likely get an inaccurate reading because of the difficulties in mixing water and wort properly

i believe that satellite brewing is used by large scale or commercial brewers to determine what FG a sample will arrive at but that is based on a sample that has yeast added to it - there isn't much benefit to the homebrewer AFAIK

+1 to terrapin

If you want to do a satellite brew, you want to get the sample after you put the yeast in. That way it will give you some indication of how fermentation is progressing. I found it not very accurate as to what's going on in the bucket.

NRS

Latest posts

Back