Hydrometer vs Refractomer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnobrew

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and have two batches under my belt and have yet to use the hydrometer that came with my starter kit. I really want to use it however it almost seems like a waste when you don't return it to the wert. I probably wouldn't mind taking a reading prior to pitching the yeast, but taking multiple samples to tell is fermentation has completed bothers me for some reason. Wouldn't exposing my beer many times by removing the lid to my ale pail put my beer at risk for contamination?

I looked into a refractometer that accomplishes the same task, but uses a smaller sample size. Does anyone use a refractometer to take readings of their beer during fermentation? If so is it worth the extra cost? Or should I just accept the fact I'll lose a few beers using the cheaper hydrometer and brew more?

Once fermentation starts, a refrac doesn't give accurate readings b/c of the alcohol in the beer (I could be wrong, but that is how I recall hearing it.)

When I did extract batches, I never checked my gravity, pre or post fermentation. I just pitched and waited ten days to two weeks, and bottled then.

If you are doing all grain, SG readings are helpful for a number of things, one being knowing efficiency. If fermentation has started, you shouldn't worry about infection, as there is a layer of CO2 between the wort and air. Just remember, sanitation, sanitation, sanitation.

As movet22 mentioned above, a refractometer is little good once fermentation is underway. It is designed to measure the refraction of light through sugary water. Alcohol has different refraction properties. I use mine on brewday to make sure my preboil gravity is where it should be and for getting an OG. For all readings post-pitch, I use my hydrometer.

You shouldn't overly worry about opening the lid of your fermenter - as long as you are smart and sanitary about it, things will be fine. Also, you don't need to take a lot of samples. Generally, I wait 10-14 days to take a reading and then again some days later to confirm FG and then either bottle then or continue to let it sit until I have the time to bottle. And each sample only needs to be 0.5 cups, so I only "lose" 1 cup of beer.

Drinking your hydrometer sample is also a great way to learn about how beer changes throughout the process.

I'm in the same boat as the last post. Use my refrac for brew day and then my hydro for making sure my gravity has finished dropping so I can bottle. I generally leave my beers in the fermenter at least 3 weeks, but sometimes I brew for something and prefer to give it more time bottle conditioning

Drinking your hydrometer sample is also a great way to learn about how beer changes throughout the process.

Maybe my favorite part of making a batch- that first taste is a great way to justify taking a SG reading.

I'm in the refrac camp. Use it all the time for all readings. There are calculators that compensate for the alcohol once ferm starts. My favorite is:
www.seanterrill.com

Much easier to handle and smaller samples are a big plus for me. There are tons on threads on refrac. Start by reading Sean's work.

Remember that with whatever method you use, you really don't need to take multiple readings.

Oh, I know we all say "FG is stable for at least three days". But that doesn't mean to take readings for three days straight. It means waiting until fermentation is over, the beer is clear, and about three days before packaging take an SG reading. If it's where it's expected, then it'll be fine to bottle. No need to do this more than once IF the SG is where expected, and the beer is clearing (or already clear). Visible signs of fermentation mean it's not ready- so if the beer is cloudy there is no point in taking an SG reading.

I've never had an accurate refractometer reading after fermentation has started, so I still use a hydrometer before packaging the beer.

Thanks for all the tips and information. I guess I'll start with the hydrometer that I already have to take some readings.

I used to use a refrac for FG readings, and while I know there are conversion tables, the problem I found is that I'd get three different readings from three different samples taken at the same time... sometimes wildly different.

I bought a finishing hydrometer and haven't looked back because I don't really care to monitor my fermentations any more. Primary for a set time (usually 3 weeks), then keg (or secondary for a set time for big beers and lagers). I've decided that patience is better than speed or efficiency.

Back