Hydrometer/Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruser76

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
this is my first batch (Irish Red Ale) and I have a question. I've looked for the answer but have read different posts, still haven't really answered my questions. It's been 1 week since I brewed, last night transferred from 1st fermentor to 2nd fermentor. (I know, it wasn't necessary but i have the equipment so i said screw it).
I did my hydrometer reading and it says that it's at Final Gravity. Should I be ready to bottle or let it set for another week or 2? I don't have a real reason to bottle yet (other than I'm excited), I just don't want to bottle it too soon and have it ruined.
Thanks for the help!

I did my hydrometer reading and it says that it's at Final Gravity.

According to whom? The recipe? All fermentations are different. What you're looking for is stable gravity...where consecutive readings are the same.

How's it taste? No harm in giving it time. Don't rush it.

I would say let it sit at least another week. Just becuase the gravity is where the kit said FG is, doesn't mean it is actually done. A few constant readings a few days apart means it is finished fermenting. Your yeast are still working to clean up after themselves and getting rid of any off flavors that may have presented themselves. In the meantime, go buy some good micros to sample and build your bottle supply and plan the next brew so you can build the pipeline. Cheers! :mug:

1. you don't know that it's finished fermenting until you get a few consecutive gravity readings that are the same. You maybe at the FG but that doesn't mean it's finished. You could end up lower.
2. waiting a week or two after fermentation gives the yeast time to clean up after itself.

It's better to leave your beer longer if possible.

It can take 8-14 days for your beer to be completely done with fermentation and to let all of the loose proteins and flocculated yeasts to settle out on the bottom. Short fermentations can also lead to high levels of diacetyl which can lead to a buttery taste/aroma to the beer. So all in all, there are too many reasons to wait and only impatience that causes you to cut it short.

Thanks everyone! It tasted really good actually, I'm super pumped to bottle & give to friends!
I'll let it wait another 7-10 days, then get ready for bottling.
I appreciate all the help everyone!

Back