Hydrogen for presurizing kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert McCoy

Reaction score
I got a cylinder of Hydrogen from a friend of mine. He thought it was Co2. I was going to see if the welding supply place here would swap it out for me. Then another friend told me I could use hydrogen. So what's the truth?
In advance thank you for your wisdom

CO2 is heavier then air. Hydrogen is much much lighter and would probably violently disperse out upon serving, if at all, since it would probably just float at the top of your keg making a potential hydrogen bomb. Any concentration above 4% is potentially explosive. Although a neat YouTube experiment I would suggest against.

Last edited:
Are you sure it’s hydrogen and not helium? Hydrogen doesn’t seem like something you’d accidentally get. If it is hydrogen I’d imagine it’s worth more than a CO2 tank so there’s that.

As others said already, you cannot and should not use this! Period!

There should be a sticker on that tank as to the (actual) content. Hydrogen uses a different valve fitting, and yes, it's highly flammable/explosive and very dangerous in unskilled hands. Do NOT open the valve!

These are not easy to come by, is this a leased tank? Or perhaps pilfered from a lab or industrial site?

Hydrogen's solubility in water is far lower then CO2 so even if you did try it, it would not have the same effect. And yes it's flammable but only explosive when mixed with air (oxygen) in the proper ratios but not terribly dangerous by itself. I've filled garbage bags with it to make impromptu lighter then air balloons and set a few of them on fire instead of launching. It's quite tame burning when the mixture is rich and somewhat of a dissapointment from what you'd expect.

Hydrogen's solubility in water is far lower then CO2 so even if you did try it, it would not have the same effect. And yes it's flammable but only explosive when mixed with air (oxygen) in the proper ratios but not terribly dangerous by itself. I've filled garbage bags with it to make impromptu lighter then air balloons and set a few of them on fire instead of launching. It's quite tame burning when the mixture is rich and somewhat of a dissapointment from what you'd expect.
Hindenburg...

As others said already, you cannot and should not use this! Period!

There should be a sticker on that tank as to the (actual) content. Hydrogen uses a different valve fitting, and yes, it's highly flammable/explosive and very dangerous in unskilled hands. Do NOT open the valve!

These are not easy to come by, is this a leased tank? Or perhaps pilfered from a lab or industrial site?

I'm not certain where it came from my friend finds things. But it's definitely labeled Hydrogen

Back