Hydro question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
I got a hydrometer yesterday, 3 days after I started my first batch. I checked it this morning and it sank to where the liquid is level just below the 10 ring in the "beer ready" block. How do I find out what the SG is? Ill be honest, I don't know where to look or what to calculate to find the 1.xxx gravity. Help?

Cat's link is a good one.

Always get an OG reading before you pitch. For beginner's, it's best to take an SG after 3 days if fermentation is not "visibly" noticeable.

As Revvy reminded me and others, no bubbles does not mean no fermentation. Trust your hydrometer.

When you're SG is steady at the same number for 3 days straight (after a week or so of fermenting) then you're done and ready to goto the next step.

I have a different hydrometer then he was showing. Mine doesnt have have the 1.xxx like his. Mine does have 0.999 then it drops to 10, 20, 30... Maybe mine is just a simple one and im new so it look complicated :eek:

So yours appears to omit the 1.0 part of the value..so 1.010 is probably your '10' error.

I have a different hydrometer then he was showing. Mine doesnt have have the 1.xxx like his. Mine does have 0.999 then it drops to 10, 20, 30... Maybe mine is just a simple one and im new so it look complicated :eek:

Sounds like you got one of those hydrometers that reads a different scale, I cannot remember the name and tried to search but am at work and have no more time!
I think it is one of these but I seem to recall a different on than one of these Plato, Oechsle, or Brix hopefully someone who knows will chime in!:(

The funny thing is I have this same hydrometer....at my girlfriend's house.

I bought it while in the Chicago suburbs because I left my hydrometer at home. Frankly, it looks dumb but it gets the job done. Mal is correct. It omits the 1.000 portion. It will list % and the 10-20-30-40-50.

Back