Husky Tannic Taste, pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I have been all grain brewing for the past two years. I have never had an issue with a husky tannic taste to my beers until recently.

I have made no changes in my process or equipment, and I always hit and hold a proper mash temperature. However, my last two batches have what I can only describe as a husky, drying flavor. These were brewed a week apart.

Could this be a drastic change in my mash pH? I did buy a new thermometer, the old one broke, but surly it would be that far off. No way to test it unless I buy another one and compare.

If I buy some pH test strips, do I test the first runnings after the mash is complete?

Other thoughts? Will this tannic taste fade?

Can't see any local water report!

"Husky tannins" sound like a too-high sparge pH.

For a water report, you need alkalinity especially but any other information would be helpful. Chlorine, flouride, etc are meaningless.

I tried to attach it, but it was too small to read. I posted the highlights. Anything else you need to see? Thanks for responding.

OK, I uploaded it to my website.
picture2.png

This is all they have listed on the report. Not sure why this has just now become an issue for me. I have noticed my efficiency has dropped as well.

Depending on your location municipal water supplies will change from ground water to lake water. My water supply will change yearly. Ground water tends to be "harder" and lake water tends to be higher in chlorides and lower in calcium and magnesium. These changes can have a dramatic effect on your efficiency and outcome of your flavor profile. Luckily I work at a place where I can measure my water makeup. Your city report lacks the info we need to know to diagnose your problem. Yooper is most likely right, it sounds like a ph problem.

That's all the info I can find. I may try and call the water treatment plant Monday. Our water comes from a river year round.

So should I just use something like pH 5.2 in my strike and sparge water?

It couldn't hurt to use 5.2. There are some mixed feeling on using it. What it boils down to is the alkalinity of your water. So best thing to do is get some ph strips and measure you ph throughout your process and adjust your water if needed. I use it and I'm happy with the outcome.

That's all the info I can find. I may try and call the water treatment plant Monday. Our water comes from a river year round.

So should I just use something like pH 5.2 in my strike and sparge water?

No. Spend your money on a brewing water report from Ward labs and some lactic acid.

It couldn't hurt to use 5.2. There are some mixed feeling on using it. What it boils down to is the alkalinity of your water. So best thing to do is get some ph strips and measure you ph throughout your process and adjust your water if needed. I use it and I'm happy with the outcome.

If you like salty beer, 5.2 is for you. If you want good beer, you need to know what your water is and how to adjust it. 5.2 can certainly hurt beer perception and quality.

Husky Tannins? It sounds like a football team. At least it would be in Texas.

Listen to Martin, he knows what he’s talking about. Your tapwater can vary quite a bit with time. I started using RO sparge and it is way better. Since then I’ve been studying up, fine tuning. It’s definitely worth it.

I’ve never heard anything good about 5.2 Stabilizer. I think it’s worse than nothing. It gives people the false hope of magic powder, instead of, you know, doing something useful.

I went to my local water department and got a more detailed report, but it's still not complete. They say it's the report they submit to the state.

What exactly do I need? tgmartin000 mentioned Ward Labs; which report do I need?

They have this one:
W-6
Household Mineral Test
$16.50
Sodium
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride Sulfate
Nitrate
Electrical Conductivity
Est. Total Dissolved Solids
pH
Total Hardness (Lime)
Total Alkalinity

One thing I'm wondering about...tannins produce astringency, which is a mouthfeel, not a flavor. which are you getting?

The $16.50 test is the one I had done, and it was sufficient.

Thanks Yooper, I'll get that one.

I did find out that based on the water sample that I took to our water department, it comes from an underground spring year round. They knew because they said my Alkalinity was high. They also mentioned that my water was fairly hard.

One thing I'm wondering about...tannins produce astringency, which is a mouthfeel, not a flavor. which are you getting?

It is what I perceive as a drying of my tongue that I get more of an after taste; technically a mouth feel I suppose. There is also a husky taste, like if you were to chew some of the spent grain after the sugars have been extracted.

It has mellowed a bit since it has been kegged a couple of weeks, but I still get it.

I read in another thread that adding gelatin would reduce this taste. That's a new one on me as I thought that gelatin would only help to clarify finished beer. I may try it anyway as this beer is also not cleared yet.

Finally got some calibration solutions for my pH tester. I bought it years ago when I had a salt-water aquarium.

My pH coming out of my charcoal water filter is 5.6.

Finally got some calibration solutions for my pH tester. I bought it years ago when I had a salt-water aquarium.

My pH coming out of my charcoal water filter is 5.6.

The water pH really isn't a factor- it's the mash pH, and especially the sparge pH that would be a factor in tannin extraction. If you have alkaline and hard water, that could be the problem.

I'm getting the same thing here in West Texas for the 3 beers I've brewed here, and our water comes from an underground aquifer and is very hard. I have done a 50/50 mix with RO water with my last brew, and it was better. My Guinness clone with acidulated malt turned out fantastic. I need acid and a water report.
I had the same issue in San Antonio, to a lesser degree, and that water also came from an aquifer and was very hard and alkaline. Great for darker beers like porters and stouts though.

If its anything like Houston water its loaded with sodium and has too high of a ph. 5.2 will add even more sodium ...Ick. look into getting a water report from ward labs...$15. It was enough to convince me to use reversed osmosis water almost 100% of th time.

If the only thing you changed was your thermometer you should start there. Test it in boiling water and ice water. Google the proper way to calibrate a thermometer in ice water.

Back