Hurricane Irma Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvirzi

Reaction score
So I just got my power back in South west Florida after 9 days. The temperature got up to 87 probably. I have about 50 gallons of beer in car boys. Are they ruined? Any info would be appreciated

There's a local craft brewer who now has an annual seasonal release originally from a severe storm where they lost glycol power while their Pilsner was actively fermenting.

If nothing was actively fermenting, it's not ideal but probably fine. If there was active fermentation, well you might have some stressed yeast flavor problems. Only way to know is to taste em.

Agreed, if all those carboys were sitting at or close to FG all that might have happened would be some character loss (aroma attenuation, etc).
That would be similar to storing bottles overly warm, something has to give and it's usually aroma first...

Cheers!

I just put 3 batches that sat in the 80's for 5 days without power into kegs and they all seemed solid. My main concern would be increased chance oxidation if they hand't been sitting under co2 because of sampling or some such.

There's a local craft brewer who now has an annual seasonal release originally from a severe storm where they lost glycol power while their Pilsner was actively fermenting.

If nothing was actively fermenting, it's not ideal but probably fine. If there was active fermentation, well you might have some stressed yeast flavor problems. Only way to know is to taste em.

Local to Florida? Or local to NOVA? If the latter, which brewery and what beer?

Local to Florida? Or local to NOVA? If the latter, which brewery and what beer?

NOVA. Derecho Common from Port City. Now they do it deliberately, but it was originally when that big derecho years ago knocked out power for days and their Downright Pils fermented at ale temp without the glycol.

Back