Hurling from Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
Not me, but two friends from my college. I gave them a few bottles of homebrew and from their own misguided judgment, they puked after drinking them. I know the reasons why the two of them puked: the first guy puked because he got drunk and then smoked a lot of pot, which he said gave him the crazy-spins. The second person was a girl and she ended up puking because she ate a whole bunch of sugar and candy and then drank out of the bottle (the yeast and all). She said it made sense because she felt fine until she drank the last bit. I gave these people plenty of run-downs on how to drink homebrew, but they didn't follow it very well.

Because of this, I've had some people say they don't want to drink my homebrew because they think it makes them puke. I solved the mystery to why they hurled almost instantly, but it's sort of aggravating. I drink two bottles of my brew every day. In fact, I haven't even bought commercial beer for a few months.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

Edit: I just remembered that the girl smoked some resin sometime when she was drinking. Probably helps explain that mystery.

I, too, once puked after getting drunk and smoking pot. Gave me the crazy spins! :D

But drinking th e yeast isn't bad, although I would recommend swirling it up with the last 2 ounces of beer in the bottle. It's got vitamins, and electrolytes!

Your friends don't sound like the type who deserve to benefit from your homebrewing efforts. Keep some BMC in the fridge for when they come over. ;) Just my opinion.

I, too, once puked after getting drunk and smoking pot. Gave me the crazy spins! :D

But drinking th e yeast isn't bad, although I would recommend swirling it up with the last 2 ounces of beer in the bottle. It's got vitamins, and electrolytes!

Yeah, drinking yeast shouldn't make you puke....at least not out of your mouth :D

I think its time to find new friends. My guess is they are still eating candy and smoking pot...... so why give up drinking good beer?

My first batch was a wheat that was still green when I let my brother in law try it. He took one drink and said it was too tart, and wouldn't drink anymore. I explained that it wasn't really ready for drinking, but he still seemed turned off to it. My response, oh well, I didn't brew it for you or to impress you, I brewed it for me. I really don't care if others like my beer, in fact I'd rather they brought their own anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to share, but if you're going to ***** about, then don't drink it. It's not going to hurt my feelings. I would just see it as being more for you, and you don't have to worry about them getting into your beer when they run out or show up empty handed.

There's a visceral aversion to ingesting anything you associate with puking. It probably goes back to the first slugs that crawled out of the slime. You'll never talk them out of it. Your best response is, "More for me!"

Yeah, drinking yeast shouldn't make you puke....at least not out of your mouth :D

Would eating the sugar and drinking the yeast cause fermentaion in your stomach? Or would the environment be too inhospitable? If the yeast went nuts in her stomach, I can see that causing her to puke, but I don't know if that's even possible.

yeast had nothing to do with it. If they drank any beer with those other things they would have puked anyways... I swirl every bottle Hoegarden to get the yeast into the glass

Would eating the sugar and drinking the yeast cause fermentaion in your stomach? Or would the environment be too inhospitable? If the yeast went nuts in her stomach, I can see that causing her to puke, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Obviously, they were PopRocks. :ban:

yeast had nothing to do with it. If they drank any beer with those other things they would have puked anyways... I swirl every bottle Hoegarden to get the yeast into the glass

Yeah, but you don't eat a pound and a half of refined sugar before doing it.

I know yeast is healthy but (see below response)

Yes, it can and does. I've had it happen to me when I over-carbed my mead and it ended up rousing the yeast when I opened it (like champagne). I ate a bunch of star bursts before hand. Man, that gave me an upset stomach for a good hour or two. Was on the ****ter for a while and had gas due to the extra co2.

My friends are actually cool and the dude who smoked the pot drinks and buys good beer. He just happened to be drunk and got the spins from smoking; he doesn't blame my beer. But the girl blamed my beer. I don't know why she puked (she was drinking an indian brown ale) besides the fact that she had a large amount of sugar in her right before she introduced a bunch of yeast to her stomach.

I'm all for drinking the yeast if you choose to, just don't do it if you have a lot of sugar in you.

Your concerned about what puking pot smokers think? Brew for yourself.

Lol, nah, he didn't blame my beer- he was just a reference that people looked at to blame my homebrew and not his behavior.

The girl didn't seem to blame my beer after I explained to her what happened and that it was her own fault for (lol) not listening to me. I still see her blaming my beer even though it was her own fault though. Ignorant people.

Oh, I just remembered that the girl smoked some resin sometime when she was drinking. Forgot about that. Guess that solves the mystery too. But then again, it was only resin... The other guy smoked a bowl of a whole bunch of powerful, mixed stuff.

The acid in your stomach would kill any yeast . Some bacteria live in that environment but they have been doing so for millions of years. Beer yeast would die rather quickly. Now giving you gas and a little laxative effect can and does happen as the bacteria eats up the yeast cells just like yeast nutrient.

Beer yeast like a ph of 5-5.5 a healthy stomach ph is 1-2.

Not to be a Buzz Killington, but should we be talking about mixing the illegal (weed) with the legal (homebrew)? It only takes one stupid politician with a misguided sense of public interest to ruin a party. Just as Alabama.

Mods, should this thread be deleted?
-Jefe-

Oh, I just remembered that the girl smoked some resin sometime when she was drinking. Forgot about that. Guess that solves the mystery too. But then again, it was only resin... The other guy smoked a bowl of a whole bunch of powerful, mixed stuff.

k.. a whole bunch of candy and sugar then resin and beer I would puke too

The acid in your stomach would kill any yeast . Some bacteria live in that environment but they have been doing so for millions of years. Beer yeast would die rather quickly. Now giving you gas and a little laxative effect can and does happen as the bacteria eats up the yeast cells just like yeast nutrient.

Beer yeast like a ph of 5-5.5 a healthy stomach ph is 1-2.

So it's the bacteria that creates the laxative? Wiggy.
Not to be a Buzz Killington, but should we be talking about mixing the illegal (weed) with the legal (homebrew)? It only takes one stupid politician with a misguided sense of public interest to ruin a party. Just as Alabama.

-Jefe-

Yeah, I don't smoke weed but they did lol. I wasn't even there when any of this took place, I just gave it to them (Edit: THE BEER). I see your concern, but (besides springer), it wasn't really being discussed as a personal use or anything of the sort. If the mods see this as dangerous, by all means- delete it.

I *WISH* my friends thought my home brew made them puke... I wouldn't have to give them some every time a batch was ready to enjoy. :)

-Jefe-

I think the mods can handle running this site without the wiener kid in the front of the class tattling.

one of my friends used to get massive hangovers when she drank my brews...Now I've started making sure I get no trub ....or as little as possible. This was back when I thought it was helping my bottles carb quicker...

Now she doesn't get teh hangovers anymore...unless she drinks 2-3 of my barleywines. In which case thats her fault anyway.

I never get handovers from homebrew usually. But last night I drank my (I)IIPA that I marked differently for it being one of the two bottles that got trub in it from the bucket (I don't think it was trub though, just hops) and I got a hangover today for the first time in 2 years. But that's partly because yesterday was st patricks day.. lol

...the first guy puked because he got drunk and then smoked a lot of pot, which he said gave him the crazy-spins.

I used to do this all the time too in college...never learned my friggin lesson. The only solution everytime was to pull the trigger and lay down...always at the tail end of a party too. Oh those youthful days...

Seems like my thoughts are common to. You need new smarter friends. First time too much candy contributed to me getting sick, was the last time...some 22 years ago now. lol

-Jefe-

If this were a thread exalting the healing properties of homebrew and weed, I might agree. But it's saying, "some ******* drank my beer while getting high and puked." Not exactly a compelling reason to do the aforementioned.

Back