Hunahpu's Day 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. I want to go. All depends if I can get a ticket. So if any of you El Catador club members can't go and want to give up your early access code shoot me a PM.

It was cancelled after last years debacle. However they decided to try again with stricter rules. Since it was less Cigar cities fault and more ******* people that ruined last years. This year is going to be different. Tickets are 200 each and include 4 750ml bottles of hunaphu. The ticket also includes food and pours of like 200 different tap beer from tons of breweries around the world. Down side is only 2k tickets are being sold. And El Catador members have first Crack at the tickets. There is around 1.5k members. Obviously not all members will go though.

Sheraton has a nearby place that sleep three or four if I recall. Kinda a long walk, or a cheap cab ride though.

Impressive guest tap list. I decided not to try for tickets this year, going to wait to see if they are going to stick to their plan of not admitting folks with bogus tickets, which is what they said they were going to do last year but didn't.

TD

My biggest question is what are they going to do will all of the extra bottles? 2000 tickets only accounts for 8000 bottles, the batch size is much larger than that, right? You collect your 4 bottles as you leave and there is no re admittance, no word so far on any additional bottle sales.

My biggest question is what are they going to do will all of the extra bottles? 2000 tickets only accounts for 8000 bottles, the batch size is much larger than that, right? You collect your 4 bottles as you leave and there is no re admittance, no word so far on any additional bottle sales.

Same question here. I would definitely be open to buying more. I remember seeing the production count, and it was a fair amount more than 8000. Going to have to search for it later.

Same question here. I would definitely be open to buying more. I remember seeing the production count, and it was a fair amount more than 8000. Going to have to search for it later.

Only thing I could find was the 2013 batch size was 15k bottles.

So they answered the question of additional bottle sales at the event, but ignored the question on batch size.

So the rumor is that they are only bottling enough for the event, their people and friends. The balance of the batch is going into kegs for events, which makes some sense since my buddy says he has been guaranteed a keg for a tap takeover event at his bar.
Joey said in the article about the return of Hunahpu's Day that he wanted to cut down on the muling and hoarding, that sure is one way to do it. With a max of 4 bottles per person and only 8k bottles, the trade value just increased significantly though.
At this point, it is still just a rumor until it is confirmed by CCB. Does anyone have any further input on the validity of this?

So the rumor is that they are only bottling enough for the event, their people and friends. The balance of the batch is going into kegs for events, which makes some sense since my buddy says he has been guaranteed a keg for a tap takeover event at his bar.
Joey said in the article about the return of Hunahpu's Day that he wanted to cut down on the muling and hoarding, that sure is one way to do it. With a max of 4 bottles per person and only 8k bottles, the trade value just increased significantly though.
At this point, it is still just a rumor until it is confirmed by CCB. Does anyone have any further input on the validity of this?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422042669.045033.jpg
Looks like it has been confirmed.

Yeah, but they still haven't answered my backup question. lol

I will ask my friend. It was either 8 or 12 other kegs he had to buy, and a dedicated event, to get it (I'm sure owning a bar has a shiit-load to do with it.)

Do El Cat members have bottles held for them? That may account for a chunk of bottles as well.

I will ask my friend. It was either 8 or 12 other kegs he had to buy, and a dedicated event, to get it (I'm sure owning a bar has a shiit-load to do with it.)

Well, it was more a tongue-in-cheek question that made me laugh. I'm sure they're already allocated for things like that event. I'm assuming that FL laws are similar to here and once the distributor has them, they impose their own allocations that the brewery really doesn't have that much say with.

Do El Cat members have bottles held for them? That may account for a chunk of bottles as well.

If what they're saying is what they did, then even El Cat members had to buy a ticket to get their bottles. They said there were only enough bottles for the event and the rest was going to be draft.

If any of you are going to have extras I'd love to trade for one. I have plenty of limited release sours and lambics among other things to get the trade done. PM me if interested

FWIW a lot of those kegs will get traded to other breweries for other special release kegs. I was fortune enough to be at a brewery(that I won't name) release/anniversary party that had huna on tap last December. That same brewery has a kegs at this years huna day.

I'm guessing since CC has all of those kegs listed that taxes were paid and everything is on the up and up. That's not always the case, secret tappings of questionable legality kegs is fairly common.

Well, it was more a tongue-in-cheek question that made me laugh. I'm sure they're already allocated for things like that event. I'm assuming that FL laws are similar to here and once the distributor has them, they impose their own allocations that the brewery really doesn't have that much say

Yeah, my response was an attempt at drunk sarcasm. A lot of breweries/distributors here seem to be releasing rare kegs to bars, I'm sure that's a common practice in other cities and we are just catching up.

4 bottles and a huge tap list and some food is included this time. So while still steep still a pretty good value.

True, but time will tell if they adhere to their ticket policy on the day of the event. Last year as we know was awful. I was one of the lucky ones to get my three bottles. Food and tasting other beer was another matter. Plus the crowds were as bad as any mosh pit you could imagine. I never was refunded my ticket price as was promised. Not that I mind since I got my bottles, but geez, first the new ticket policy and then the lack of a refund broken promises. I can cut them some slack since its growing pains, I just think they made the wrong call last year allowing the bogus ticket holders admission. I only had two small beer samples last year because it was too crowed. An impressive tap list doesn't matter if you can't get a taste.

Sounds like they're doing it right this year. High price is a plus. I'm going to see how this years event plays out, and hopefully if it's a success, I'll try to get a ticket for next year.

TD

They only sold 2K tickets to control the crowds. Some other measures too (ID and name on ticket have to match, etc.) are being taken too. I guess we'll see what happens.

I have a feeling they will be very restrictive this go around. Lots of bad publicity last year.

Last year was a mess for sure. I was hesitant to go again, but it looks like they have it figured out. Professional event staff, better tickets, more security, it all looks good on paper. Let's hope it's well executed.
I think the big kicker this year is the 8k bottles (~ half the bottles of previous years). With the attendees only getting 4 bottles each, trades will be pretty tight for it.

Hey,

if anybody who bought a ticket and has to cancel for whatever reason, I would be interested in buying it along with the tasting booklet (as long as it would still be honored being that my name wouldn't be on the ticket if names are printed this year.)

TD

Back