Huge yeast cake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biestie

Reaction score
Greetings, I've never had to post a question here before, since usually I can find the answer by searching threads, but I brewed the "Honey Bee Ale" from Midwest on Friday and it's got the biggest yeast cake in the bottom of the fermentor that I've ever seen (been extract brewing off and on for 15 years). The fermentables are 3.3 lbs light malt extract and 3 lbs Minnesota Clover Honey, and the yeast is the Headwaters Wyeast Activator http://www.midwestsupplies.com/name-our-strain-winner.

Help, did I ruin my beer!??!? Should I dump it??!?!?!? Is the sky falling?!?!?!? Is this a sign of the apocalypse?!?!?!

J/k. I'm really not too worried about it, but that sonofagun is close to 2 inches thick.

I guess my question is, could this be a problem?

NO, you didn't ruin anything. Dump it? Yeah, dump it into bottles and drink it in a couple of weeks. Is the sky falling? Hope not. Apocalypse? Yes, the beer gods are telling you that you probably made a great beer.

I did a bourbon barrel ale a few months back and was surprised by a huge yeast cake in the bottom of my BB. Other than grossing my nephew out because I had to flush that thing down the toilet (I didn't know what to do with it...lol), it had no ill affects on my beer. AMOF, that batch was/is incredibly flavorful and one of the best I've made to date.

I have a dubbel going right now that probably has a 3 inch thick cake in the bottom. different yeasts do different things in different beers

Back