Huge krausen, broken hydro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazjdm

Reaction score
I have an Abbey Ale fermenting now, its been going for 3 weeks, hydrometer is broken, OG was 1.086. Popped the cork out to peek inside, still a massive krausen layer. Had extreme blowoff for the whole first week. Problem is i cant take a hydro reading. Shall i let it sit till krausen subside? And wait on hydro? probably answered my own question, but any advice would be helpful

Maybe try gently swirling the fermenter to help the krausen drop? I would wait for the krausen to drop before I racked over, but everyone has their own methods.

I would also probably go to the lhbs and get a new hydro. Actually, scratch that, I would use this as an excuse to upgrade to a refractometer ;)

i tried swirling the container around to ease the krausen down 2 days ago. i can get my hands on a refractometer tomorrow, i have no experience using one though. hydro will take a bit longer because i dont have a HBS locally.

Back