Hows this for a Pumpkin ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskier

Reaction score
Based off of Terpsichoreankid's recipe

8 lbs 2-row Pale Malt US
2 lbs Crystal Malt 60L
1 lb Biscuit Malt
.5 lbs Wheat, Flaked
.6 lbs Rice Hulls

90 oz. canned pumpkin (mash 60 min)

1 oz Goldings, East Kent (boil 60 min)

1 tsp clove (boil 5 min)
1 tsp nutmeg (boil 5 min)
1 tsp allspice (boil 5 min)
1 tsp cinnamon (boil 5 min)

1 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (mash 60 min)
1 Whirlfloc tablet (boil 15 min)

1 package Nottingham yeast, rehydrated

90 oz pumpkin roasted for 1 hour @ 350F

I really want a pumpkin pie tasting kind of ale. I read too many stories about pumpkin ales not having enough spice, or pumpkin character, and then I read others where somebody overspiced the beer and it became undrinkable.

Looking for a well rounded, solid pumpkin ale for this time of year. Thanks

My input is back off on the clove just a wee bit. Maybe half a tsp to start. You can always add more later.

I like to overpitch, I'd maybe go with two packets of yeast. I'd also really control your ferm temps the first week or so. You really don't want off flavors in a novelty beer. :(

I strongly agree with the 60L and the biscuit; I like a bit of bready-caramel in my pumpkin beers! :mug:

That's my $.02!

I just tried my hand at a pumpkin ale also. I was shooting for something along the lines of Southern Tier's Pumking. ]https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/southern-tier-pumking-clone-191381/index16.html[/URL] There are some pretty good ideas throughout that thread for pumpkin ales.

I would up the cinnamon compared to the other spices. Looks delicious though!

Definitely back off the clove. a little goes a looooong way. What I did this year was put half my spices in at 5 min, tasted when fermentation was done, and then added extra spices to taste. I haven't tapped it yet, but the last sample I took was way better than last year.

I like the recipe for the most part but agree that you might want to cut back on the clove and bump up the cinnamon a bit. also, you might consider adding some vanilla. that's how I typically do mine and I love it.

Personally, I'd back off on some of the crystal malt. I'd go with no more than a pound and probably even less that that. But then again, that's just the way my personal taste buds roll - I tend to find any recipe with more than 5% crystal malt too cloying.

Also...don't be afraid to add some (not a lot!) flavor and aroma hops - especially EKG. I did last year in my pumpkin beer and their earthy-spiciness complemented the pumpkin and spices very well.

Also...don't be afraid to add some (not a lot!) flavor and aroma hops - especially EKG. I did last year in my pumpkin beer and their earthy-spiciness complemented the pumpkin and spices very well.

+1
I use Saaz (Stirling this time) for flavor and aroma in my pumpkin ale. It adds a nice subtle touch that I enjoy

Great suggestions, thank you.

I agree that 2 pounds of crystal is too much. I dropped this down to a half pound, and bumped up the base malt by a pound. I also decided to use some leftover Centennial as the bittering hop, rather than buy EKG. I wasn't planning on doing the flavor/aroma additions, because I want the pumpkin spices to stand out. I might reconsider this, though. I know EKG adds a nice spicy flavor of its own.

I'm thinking of adding even more pumpkin. I bought the large large can at Smart and Final, 106 oz I believe. I might just bake and toss the whole amount in. Why not?

Agree with dropping the cloves down to 0.5 tsp instead of the full teaspoon.

I also have ginger on hand... would that be a good one to include in the cinnamon/allspice/clove/nutmeg combo? Or would this muddy things up?

I might bump the cinnamon up to 1.5 tsp as well.

Mash the pumpkin.

I can't stress this enough:

Mash the pumpkin.

Mashing the pumpkin gives you easily ass much (if not more) pumpkin flavor than boiling, you don't have to deal with a gloopy mess in your kettle and fermenter, and you won't lose 2 gallons to pumpkin trub.

Use 1.5# rice hulls to keep the mash from getting stuck.

I say toss it all in! Maybe drizzle a little molasses on top of it before you roast it...

What kind of water should I have with an ale like this?

I was a strict all grain brewer, but decided to go back to extract because I was having water issues. I was trying to adjust my water with additions, but I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

Should I start with RO and try and obtain my own profile?

Back