Howdy from the Ozarks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just thought I'd at least say Hi. I've home brewed for about 10 years, but got away from it since I didnt have anyone to brew with. Met a guy who loves cigars as much as I do and found out we both like to brew so I got a brew buddy too. :tank:

I mostly brewed extract with grains, but now I'm thinking about all grain and a 2 or 3 tier stand. But I am kind of a research junkie so I will most likely think this to death.

Thanks for a great forum and I hope to be able to contribute soon. :drunk:

Thanks

Hey welcome!

We are a friendly bunch, but every now and then, there's a slow period. It's a great bunch of guys here (and there's even a great gal here, who I am sure will be by shortly if she can pry herself away from her new koi pond). Hehe.

I quit cigarettes about 6 months ago, so I'm not ready to go back to my occasional cigar yet, but I did enjoy them immensely. What are your favorites? Personally, I'm, a sucker for a La Gloria in a 50 ring gauge and think that Cohibas are about on par with Swisher Sweets. I used to love a good Macanudo from time to time, but better values can be found if you look around, so for that reason I tend to avoid them a little. Best value smoke, I thought was always the Punch Maduros, though I suppose some real cigar snobs tend to turn their nose up at them- I say they're still better than a Cohiba. So what do ya like?

As for researching, I say it's fine for things like science papers, but sometimes it's best to just go out on a limb... What kinds of beers do ya like?

Thanks for the welcome, Sean.

There are a lot more than one might think, one of the oldest mail order suppliers is 30 mins away from me, The Home Brewery in Ozark MO.

Toot, and thank you also for the welcome.

I'm a full flavor nut. The La Glorias are an awesome smoke and the Punch's are a staple in my humi, especially the Rare Corojo's. And I agree with you about the Cohibas, the are vastly overrated. Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra's are a must try for you if you havent already had one. Mac's, like the Cohibas, are a mild cigar and outside my likes. But I'm a firm believer that, "If you like it, smoke it." It dont make a rats butt what anyone else thinks. I have a friend who's all GA GA about Cubans, I've had many of them and to me, they are just a different taste. Nothing to get all excited about. If you want to try a really good affordable cigar, try Consuegra's. They are the factory seconds from the makers of ERDM, Punch, HDM, Bolivars, etc.

As for beers, I've always liked the heavy dark brews over anything else. Porters and Stouts are my favs. But I've had this itch to brew a nice pilsner, so I'm on the hunt for a fridge to use for fermenting.

And since I'm a network admin, researching is part of my job. I cant help it, its what I do.

The Hoyos I've had have had a REALLY bad aftertaste. Makes me want to lick a dog's ass just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. Do you know what I'm talking about? Have you encountered that in some Hoyos? Is it maybe some of their cigars, but not others?

Our tastes sound similar, I would try a Dark Sumatra tonight as I brew if not for the fact that it's made by Hoyo...

I'm working on an Imperial Stout today... and will be bottling a regular stout. Good times.... The other fermenters have a pair of wheat beers.

Yeah, I know what you mean, someones great taste can be someone elses nasty.
I think your talking about the main line Hoyo's. The Excalibur's and the Dark Sumatra's are a totally different blend and have a different taste profile. I have gone through about 2 boxes of the Dark Sumatra's and they are very consistent.

Maybe a nice Punch Rare Corojo or a Grand Puro would be more reliable.

Yes, our tastes do sound like they are very close.

BadKarma said:
But I've had this itch to brew a nice pilsner, so I'm on the hunt for a fridge to use for fermenting.

Look up Craigslist.org for the location closest to you. In my area they have an entire section dedicated to people giving away free stuff. You may have to refresh it several times per day to be the first one to respond to a great deal, but it's worth it. I got a full size fridge-on-bottom refrigerator for free that works great.

Another MO brewer welcomes you, Karma!

Anyone else make it to the St. Louis Brewer's Heritage Festival this weekend?
It was pretty cool, but too damn crowded!

scottthorn said:
Another MO brewer welcomes you, Karma!

Anyone else make it to the St. Louis Brewer's Heritage Festival this weekend?
It was pretty cool, but too damn crowded!

And another!

Welcom Karma! Have you ordered from that homebrew shop that is 30mins away from you?

I'm interested to hear about their service/prices/etc.

Scottthorn,

I went to the 12pm-4pm session on Saturday and it was a great time. I ended up tasting 36 beers and found 11 that I would buy and drink, 15 that I would drink if they were free and 10 that I wouldn't drink even if they were free.

I thought that the beer & food pairing presenstation was short, as it only lasted about 10 minutes.

All in all it was a great time and I was told that they were expecting around 5k people per session with 2k people for the VIP session.

So, there are a few brewers in MO....you guys are all quite a bit south or west of me here near Columbia.

DML said:
So, there are a few brewers in MO....you guys are all quite a bit south or west of me here near Columbia.

I'm from Columbia as well. We need to get fiddup together and have a brew at Flat Branch some time.

HarvInSTL said:
I'm from Columbia as well. We need to get fiddup together and have a brew at Flat Branch some time.

absolutely....with this many mid-mo homebrewers why is there no lhms anywhere to be found? I called the place in Jeff City (muggsies?) and the answering maching says the store hours are 10-3 on Friday.....and that's it....

DML said:
absolutely....with this many mid-mo homebrewers why is there no lhms anywhere to be found? I called the place in Jeff City (muggsies?) and the answering maching says the store hours are 10-3 on Friday.....and that's it....

Well Cool Stuff sells home brew stuff, but you pay out the ass for it.

I stopped by there my last time when I was in town and they wanted $16 for 3lbs of DME.

You are better off buying all the ingredients you need for 2 or 3 batchs from Austin Homebrew and get it all shipped for $5.99.

Damn, 10-3 on Friday only? Now those are the hours I want to work!

Yeah, 10-3.....I'm not sure how they can afford to keep the building with those hours.

I didn't realize coolstuff still sold anything. I knew they did years ago, but thought they had stopped. Do they have any equipment or bottles? I'm trying my best to have 50 empty bottles by bottling day, but I think I'm going to come up at least 12-24 short...if I could buy some at coolstuff (along with another carboy) then that would make my life easier (the other option is to just increase my consumption....again not really a bad thing).

DML said:
Yeah, 10-3.....I'm not sure how they can afford to keep the building with those hours.

I didn't realize coolstuff still sold anything. I knew they did years ago, but thought they had stopped. Do they have any equipment or bottles? I'm trying my best to have 50 empty bottles by bottling day, but I think I'm going to come up at least 12-24 short...if I could buy some at coolstuff (along with another carboy) then that would make my life easier (the other option is to just increase my consumption....again not really a bad thing).

Yes they do have equipment and bottles. If I remember the carboys were a decent price and the bottles weren't too bad.

When is your bottling day and what size carboy do you need?

HarvInSTL said:
Yes they do have equipment and bottles. If I remember the carboys were a decent price and the bottles weren't too bad.

When is your bottling day and what size carboy do you need?

I'm cookin tomorrow, so I'm several weeks out from needing bottles. So there is no hurry on bottles, but if I had a 2nd carboy I could cook another batch in a week or two, hence the need for a quick bottle supply.

I'm a shriner, and I'm hopping to have a couple of different 6 or 12 packs of homebrew to donate to the local shriner charity auction this summer.

EDIT: SORRY for the hijack BadKarma!

HarvInSTL said:

Just let me know when.

Cool stuff sucks for supplies, if I'm in a pinch and need something in a hurry I'll buy it there, otherwise I shop at Midwest online.

The place thats 30 mins away is The Home Brewery in Ozark MO. I was just up there yesterday and they are a very nice bunch of folks. Pretty good prices as far as I can tell. And they have been in business for 25 years. Same folks that opened it too.

http://www.homebrewery.com/index.html

Getting to far from here is a pain, I'm a network admin and I have to at least stay kinda close in case of problems. About the only way is during vacations.

But it's great to know there are so many of us.

Back