Howdy from Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
I joined about a month ago but this is my first post. Just saying hello. So nice to find this forum, it has already influenced my beer making - I was able to find some really good info and tips on making my last brew, a steam beer (anchor clone) and it's looking like it's gonna be my best brew yet. Started brewing last summer...and it has grown into something of a passionate interest :rockin:

See ya around!

btw, my thread title seems to be evidence that we houstonians tend to think alike lol!

Im new here as well. Can't wait to get a batch going in a month or two. Any of you members, or consider joining, one of the local clubs?

forgive my very late reply - thought i'd get notifications of replies in my email...

crazybrew, carsonCE, 152sumo, dragontail - good to meet you

i've thought about looking into local brew clubs...at the moment, my friends and i are having plenty of fun getting together once a month and trying new beers... but two years out and now we have trouble finding beers we haven't had, which is why i got into homebrewing - the last frontier, and what a wonderful world it is!

Another Houstonian also new to the forum. Hello to all.

I started home brewing in '96, and by '00 I was retired by bottling. As luck would have it, I'm now in the process of building a 4 tap keezer. Goodbye bottling, hello draft home brew! It should be up and operational in the next 3-4 weeks, and would love to post some updates if anyone cares.

Anyway, thanks to all out there in HBT who post and encourage those of us who were once lost but now have been found. HBT has been instrumental in helping me decide what equipment to buy.

Spreadhead

Welcome aboard!

Long time brewer and newly signed onto HBT as well.

Its good to see homebrewing alive and well here in H Town

Another Houstonian also new to the forum. Hello to all.

I started home brewing in '96, and by '00 I was retired by bottling. As luck would have it, I'm now in the process of building a 4 tap keezer. Goodbye bottling, hello draft home brew! It should be up and operational in the next 3-4 weeks, and would love to post some updates if anyone cares.

Anyway, thanks to all out there in HBT who post and encourage those of us who were once lost but now have been found. HBT has been instrumental in helping me decide what equipment to buy.

Spreadhead

wow, you were home brewing before i was even "allowed" to have a beer!

indeed looking forward to updates!

Welcome aboard!

Long time brewer and newly signed onto HBT as well.

Its good to see homebrewing alive and well here in H Town

yeah, to my surprise, home brewing is really kicking in Houston...well, i was surprised until i found DeFalco's - they make it all so accessible! a gem of a business

Good to see more Texans on this board. Now if we can just get Rick Perry on here, we'll all secede to our own board...........;)

The only LHBS in Abilene closed last year. Sure wish there was somewhere between Abilene and DFW.

Welcome to the boards!

yes for reals im glad competition for defalcos can't be bad. The guy thats openinging it is the keg cowboy he sells kegging stuff and more on his site kegcowboy.com

yes for reals im glad competition for defalcos can't be bad. The guy thats openinging it is the keg cowboy he sells kegging stuff and more on his site kegcowboy.com

That's great news. I bought all my kegging stuff from him and he is a great guy. I actually saw him at a wine bar not too long ago (we were the only guys drinking beer in there) and he went out of his way to talk to me. He's good to work with.

I'm a big fan of Defalco's too though and end up going there every week or so. I think there are plenty of us homebrewers here to support both places.

Oh that's Jeff Woodruff. I've been to his "store" which he currently runs out of his garage in Spring Branch. He's a very nice guy and has competitive prices.

I think you're right about competition w/ Defalco's. That can only be good.

Yeah he is a good guy goes out of his way to explain things. I for one don't care for defalcos that much only go there if I need something last minute.

I know what you're saying about Defalco's. I've thought before that some of those guys working in there were kind of pretentious. Lately I've been buying from ahb rather than driving over to the LHBS.

I feel like im an inconvience to them when I walk in to purchase something last time I was in there no one but me in the store there all chit chatting I have to actually ask for help really! And then I hear its your turn this time. Im just like wow

FYI,

There already is a 2nd LHBS. Brew it yourself is located on I-45 and Sawdust Rd.

The place is a one man show (Phil), but has everything you need to brew beer or wine. This is where I go for my supplies since I live on the north side of Houston.

I know what you're saying about Defalco's. I've thought before that some of those guys working in there were kind of pretentious. Lately I've been buying from ahb rather than driving over to the LHBS.

Came (back) here to say this...

Oh, and howdy to the new guy!

well, unfortunately, i do know what some of you are talking about regarding some of defalco's guys coming off as pretentious or not helpful - maybe free beer on tap in the store is a bad idea? lol...but on the other hand, one of the guys helped me bring my stuff to my car (had a big order) and was chatty and helpful...hopefully some competition will make them iron some things out...

i've seen the keg cowboy site and ads on craigslist...i'll definitely give him a try when he opens up

and howdy texmedic49 and the rest of the texas crew!

Thanks. I lurk an awful lot more than I post. I keep trying to pull away from stuff on Tuesday nights so I can go to the Bay Area meetings, but it hasn't happened yet. I would really love to meet some folks down here that do AG.

And please don't think I am running down Defalcos, I'm not. I just hate getting an attitude from someone whose salalry I happen to be contributing to!

Hopefully the KegCowboy's low prices will carry over to their homebrew supplies too! Anyone know where this shop is and when it is going to be open?

it feels like ages (instead of a couple of weeks) since i posted in this thread...just checking if anyone has any updates on the new homebrew shop...?

it feels like ages (instead of a couple of weeks) since i posted in this thread...just checking if anyone has any updates on the new homebrew shop...?

I went over to the new shop 2 weekends ago as Jeff was moving stuff in.

It sounds like it's not going to be a LHBS from the outset. It will be more of a physical storefront for kegcowboy.com, selling draft and homebrew equipment. IOW, no grain or extract, etc.

He says that eventually it may be more of a direct competitor with DeFalco's, but I don't know when.

ah, thanks spreadhead...

i don't know anything about the size of the market for his type of business, but it sounds rather niche-esque...i hope there's enough business to be profitable...hopefully he'll move along the plans for a brew shop a bit faster

I am in Houston as well. Just cracked the bottle on my first partial mash yesterday. Doing my second batch tomorrow after the WC game. Would like to get into AG brewing but would like to see it done first. I am in SW Houston.

Well the news broke before we were ready so we had quite a few customers come in way before there were any signs up. We now have a sign and regular hours as well as all the equipment you see in the on-line catalog plus a good deal more that we can't keep around long enough to photograph. For clarification we do not have actual ingredients to brew beer but we strive to be the lowest priced option in Houston and on the web for kegging and dispensing equipment. We are slowly adding brewing equipment as well.

We think if you take a close look at any of our competitors kits or components you can plainly see that you get more for less money with the Cowboy.

We would love to see you when you are in the neighborhood so come in and try one of Frank's recipes and let us introduce ourselves.

We still know most of our customers by name and we like it that way.

KegCowboy
Keg Beer Dispensing Equipment & Kegerator Parts
2017 S Shepherd (between San Felipe & Westheimer)
Houston, TX 77019
281-888-0507

www.KegCowboy.Com

welcome, uhcougar! (i am one as well)...lots of info and vids about AG brewing on the net (and in this exceptional forum)...my advice is to just do it! i eased my way into AG after about 10 batches, then made the jump...you'll probably screw something up, we all do, but it's fun looking back and acknowledging your progress

KegCowboy! Very pleased to hear business is doing well. As my Beer-volution continues, I look forward to visiting your shop, especially since I can walk there in 10 minutes!

As far as the comment on not carrying ingredients we now have a full line up online and will be stocking them more popular kits in the store starting Thursday. All kits are 100% certified organic! If you ever wanted to see the difference in using only organic ingredients would make - now is your chance.

Houston you have a new Option for Recipe Kits - Click Here to see the organic kits

Back