Howdy, from another New Jersey guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfyJ

Reaction score
Howdy fellow beer drinkers, brewers, and most likely a bunch of BBQ'rs. Just wanted to give a shout out and say hello after reading well... an unfathonable amount of information... well, on this site alone for the most part lol.

After reading a fair amount I think im going to start with extracts and work my way up to grain brewin. As I read somewhere its not that ones inferior to the other; its just an equipment issue at the moment; wich im working on :D

Im around the Tenafly area for all the NJ people out there. Also I was wondering about meets; found a few but not currently sure of the activity of them. Any recommendations by any chance? Take care ya'll. :mug:

Welcome to HBT

We're in the same boat on equipment. I've been slowly collecting new equipment every time I brew, buying one thing here and another there. But for the most part, I've been borrowing from my good homebrewing buddies here in Corvallis. He just got his stainless conical fermenter so his glass carboys are freed up.

Anyhow, have fun.
Ben

Always good to know your not alone :p Yea, I found some cheap carboys on craigslist atm that im hoping to pick up in person; figure Id see if theres a reason for him to selling it or just doesnt need it anymore. Been readin the John Palmer book how to brew at the dog park as well to kill two birds with one stone. After readin up some more on the forums I got the idea to go harrass (well not that bad) some of the supermarkets to see if there throwin away any plastic food barrels. fingers crossed. Other than that im still cleanin out the basement where its all gona take place. Dirty as hell (workroom) so once all the crap is moved gona give it a good cleanin to help sterile it.

If you want to do all grain cheap you can get by with a fermenting bucket ~$8, Bottling bucket ~$12, a nylon grain bag ~$5, a 5 gallon aluminum pot ~$40, and a 7.5+ gallon aluminum pot ~$55 for BIAB (Brew in a bag) all grain brewing by Deathbrewers method.

That totals out to somewhere close to $115. You'd need a 5 gallon pot and the fermenter/bottling bucket anyway so that drops the extra cost above extract for all grain to ~$60 (the cost of a large pot and a large grain bag).

No, no, no we have enough you you Jersey "people" here. We don't need any more!

Not really, the more the merrier, welcome aboard

@Case: Sounds like a solid plan :)

@Bobby: Ah cool, ty for the info. I'll go check out there website. Appears that the Next meeting is at the 15th. Hopefully I'll be able to go if all is well with everything. :mug:

Back