How well do you trust you dealer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoeHaarden

The best advice is unsolicited
Reaction score
So, against my better judgement and ignoring the increasing bad feedback of morebeer's service I recently made a purchase from them. Included in my purchase was a small pack of Nelson Sauvin hops as I've never used this hop and I've been wanting to give it a try before buying a large pack. For 2oz. it was $6.99 which is not the cheapest around I know, but I hit free shipping so it kind of evened out.

My dilemma, is that tonight I just dry hopped with the remaining ounce of Nelson Sauvin and I noticed that the label of the hop package appeared slightly skewed as if one label was placed on top of another label. So I peeled the label off and underneath the Nelson Sauvin label was a label for English Challenger. At $3.50 price difference it makes me wonder if something sketchy is going down...

I don't know if morebeer labels the packages or if their distributor does, but either way it seems a little odd. I'm just hoping that is was simply a mis-labeling error that got caught after the fact. I certainly hope that this wasn't a purposeful re-labeling to boost profits, but I won't ever really know. Either way I just wanted to throw this out there to get people to be cautious in fully trusting online retailers.

Ns.jpg
C.jpg

I'd have thought Nelson Sauvin was so distinctly different that it'd be easy to tell if that's what you received.
Perhaps the packager had left-over bags from a Challenger run...

Cheers!

Did you weigh the hops? The labels have different weights on them. Looks like the original label was for an ounce/28 grams.

I'd have thought Nelson Sauvin was so distinctly different that it'd be easy to tell if that's what you received.
Perhaps the packager had left-over bags from a Challenger run...

Cheers!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I feel that it did have a slightly unique aroma, and I tried to compare with a some left over Challenger that I had but they we too old to really compare.

Did you weigh the hops? The labels have different weights on them. Looks like the original label was for an ounce/28 grams.

Yeah, it weighed out to 2 ounces. I wondered about this too...

I would guess that is was just a mislabel then. You could always call and ask or email them. Get a pack of each and see which is which....

Yeah, I sent them an email to see if they could provide an explanation. I'm not too worried, but I just thought it was a little strange and it started to invoke some questioning thoughts...

Either way, just makes you think about what you're actually receiving when a retailer repackages items...

So morebeer got back with me the other day, and just as day_tripper thought. They prelabeled too many challenger bags before filling them and didn't want want to waste the packages. So the relabeled it to use the packages...

I wasn't too worried, and they did get back to me rather fast and over a weekend. I'm satisfied with their products and service, but it still makes you wonder. Especially if you order grain bills pre-mixed from online retailers...

Back