How too question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecbrid

Reaction score
Just wondering if I wanna put fruit in my secondary how should I go about this? Just put the fruit right in there? Or mash it?

You are confused about mashing. Please look up what mashing is with the idea that it does not apply to fruit in beer.

You can literally stuff the fruit in the fermenting vessel provided there is room. I hope this helps.

You are confused about mashing. Please look up what mashing is with the idea that it does not apply to fruit in beer.

You can literally stuff the fruit in the fermenting vessel provided there is room. I hope this helps.

Could be that the OP meant mash as in smoosh it up, rather than the brewers definition of a mash. That being said I usually freeze my fruit to break down the cell walls, thaw it and then rack on top of it.

Yea I didn't mean the brewers term of mash haha that's my bad. My next question would be how much would I use for a 5 gallon batch?

Yea I didn't mean the brewers term of mash haha that's my bad. My next question would be how much would I use for a 5 gallon batch?

generally around 0.5-2lbs/gallon, but depends on the fruit and desired intensity.

since you posted in the beginners' section, I would guess that you're shiny & new to the obsession, so maybe a fruit beer isn't the best choice. my advice is to try simpler recipes to get your technique down, then try your hand at adding fruit. I think it's difficult enough to balance bitter and sweet in typical brewing, it complicates things immensely when you try to balance tart/sour in the mix.

that said, if your heart is set on doing it, go for it. good luck; there are some examples over in the recipe section or you can take your pick of several kits with all the ingredients you need from online or brick-and-mortar home brew supply stores.

and it really does depend on the fruit.

If brewing is new to you, you may want to look into fruit extract to add at bottling/legging.

Back