How to wire in a fan into kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey3cd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm building a kegerator out of an old piece of furniture and am almost done, I will share the results in another post, but I need some help on one thing. I'm trying to wire in a fan that can circulate air inside, but need to know what wire to splice it into. I'm using a Haier fridge and I want the fan to turn on when the compressor clicks on. So do I just splice it into the cable that runs from the thermostat to the compressor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the bad picture, it's in a relatives garage at the moment, otherwise I would've taken a picture of all the components.

image-1933400255.jpg

image-4090933236.jpg

Well, I disagree with the premise that a "stirring fan" should only operate when the compressor is on. Stratification happens in the absence of air currents, whether the compressor is running or not, so my fridges and keezer have small 12VDC fans running 24/7.

That said, there are 110VAC 120mm "muffin" fans that aren't expensive like this one that you could operate by tapping off the same leads that go to the compressor...

Cheers!

Yes thanks. The fan I got is similar to that one. Here is a picture of it.

And what do you mean by stratification?

image-4146855429.jpg

image-1326020976.jpg

:confused: Stratification is pretty much the whole reason why one puts a fan inside a fridge or keezer in the first place.

Particularly in a keezer, there can be a profound temperature difference at the keezer floor level than just under the lid. While this doesn't really hurt anything, it can cause beer lines to be appreciably warmer than the beer in bottom of the kegs (which is where the beer is drawn from) which then will provoke CO2 breakout on the way to the faucet.

Bad juju that, but a modest fan keeping the air moving will significantly reduce the temperature differential, so that the beer at the bottom of the kegs is the same temperature as the beer in the lines sitting on top of the kegs...

Cheers!

Since the fan is internal IMO I think you'd be better off having the fan run continuous, not just with the compressor.... Perhaps I'm wrong but it just makes sense to me to have the internal air moving constantly instead of only when the compressor is running

Back