How to use Willamette hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclynch

Reaction score
I got a hop rhizome from my daughter a couple of years ago, purported to be Willamette, and just harvested about a pound of fresh hop cones.

My question is, what kind of beer should I brew with this? I'm an intermediate all-grain brewer and like just about every style of beer I've ever tasted or made.

What are your suggestions and/or recipes?

I use it in my robust porter along with Nugget for bittering. I think it turns out well.

Willamette is a terrific aroma hop for any anglo-american style. I use it in my brown ale & my robust porter with nugget for bittering

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try that hopped up amber of Yooper's that you linked. Can't wait! I'll let you know how it turns out.

On a side note - SO MANY new hops out there now... hard to know what to do with all the variety. And as a result, some of the classics of past years are getting lost (like Willamette).

What are some of your other "oldies" hops that you still love and use?

Use it late boil or whirlpool but IMO do not dry hop with it it is excessively grassy!! Some people have told me that co dry hopping with a high oil variety will cover up the grassy taste.

As above, works well anywhere English hops are called for. One of my local barley wines uses it mixed with Bramling Cross.

Back