How to use up some crystal 60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
I just got a lot of crystal 60 from a guy that no longer does all-grain.

It has been in an open plastic bag for a few months so I am not even sure if it much good.

I how ever want to use it and was wandering if there is a certain style of beer or a recipe you could give my that uses a lot of crystal 60.

cheers

On Friday, we brewed a batch of Mild which used 1 1/2 lbs of Caramel 60L. If you look in the recipe database here, under English Brown, you'll find a recipe from Orfy and Reaper that are similar.

Well not that I find a 3% ABV beer is appealing but I can see from that recipe that I can use a fair amount of Crystal 60 in a batch.

How about:
80% Pale
20% Crystal 60

Bittering @ 30-35 IBUs with Amarillo or Fuggles.

But then again, I have loads of hops and grains on hand so I can go in any direction.

Would 20% bee too much or could it be good if I up the bittering and flavor hops.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. 10 pounds of Pale malt and .75 pounds of crystal 60

Well I guess 20% is over the top.

From ******.com
• 1-3% For balance in Pilsners
• 5-10% California Common Beer, Vienna, Marzen and Oktoberfest
• 5-15% Doppelbocks, Dark Lagers and Barley Wine
• 5-15% Certain styles of Brown Ales, Scotch Ales, Stouts and Porters

Isn't 60L Caramel/Crystal like the most used specialty grain on the planet? . . . :p

Just saying . . . pretty sure that you can use that in virtually any style sans a hefe or something light lager-ish.

Yeah and the way I have been brewing lately I will finish it in a few weeks lol

I was just wondering if there was a certain style or perhaps a recipe you knew of that used a very high percentage of crystal 60.

Don't worry about it going off. The starches have already been converted to sugar. Biggest issue would be if any insects have gotten into it.

How about this for an APA/American Light

8.8 lbs. Pale Malt
2.2 lbs. Flaked Corn
1.0 lbs. Crystal 60

2.5 oz. Fuggles 4.7% @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Fuggles 4.7% @ 15 min.

OG 1.050 @ 83% BHE (7.5 gal.)
IBU 34
SRM 7

How about this for an APA/American Light

8.8 lbs. Pale Malt
2.2 lbs. Flaked Corn
1.0 lbs. Crystal 60

2.5 oz. Fuggles 4.7% @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Fuggles 4.7% @ 15 min.

OG 1.050 @ 83% BHE (7.5 gal.)
IBU 34
SRM 7

For me, I wouldn't add the flaked corn to a 34 IBU beer, the malt doesn't need to be lightened. Also, you don't say what yeast you would use. If you dropped the corn and used an english yeast (wlp002, US-04, Windsor), you might have an interesting english pale ale, since you're using Fuggles hops.

Of course, its always fun to experiment with something new and with beers that don't fit the style guidelines ;)

Thanks Pappers.
I have some S-04 that I have been waiting to use.

I also have wanted to do one that is high in corn since my rig works with any amount of flake/rice/corn and or rye

Perhaps I will just more then one, planing on doing my first Porter this weekend as well.

3 brews in a 4 day weekend sounds alright

Yeah I am starting to think that too, just being eager to get brewing I think

Either an APA or ESB from the C60 and my first Porter this weekend looks like a plan right now

Latest posts

Back