How to use Polyclar as a fining agent ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog-Brewery

Reaction score
Although I am familiar with cold crashing and using gelatin as a fining agent, I would like to experiment with using Polyclar (aka PVPP).

The problem is there seems to be a wide variety of answers on the internet forums about how to use Polyclar as a fining agent. Nothing consistent.

So I'm hoping that someone here on the forum has some expert advice on how to use it. My questions are . . .

- At what point in the brewing process do you add it? Some posts say they add it to the BK, while most others say they add it to the fermenter.

- If you do add it to the fermenter, is it during active fermentation and how much do you add for a 5-gallon batch?

- Or if you add it to the fermenter after active fermentation has been completed, how much do you add for a 5-gallon batch?

- Or are you adding Polyclar during the cold crash? If so, when are you adding it, how much do you add for a 5-gallon batch?

Thx !

Back