How to use pectin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamranders

Reaction score
I have a saison fermenting currently that I plan to add guava to in secondary. My question is how/when should I add the pectin enzyme?

*5 gallon batch
*Adding 5lbs frozen guava pulp
*Have powder pectin enzyme

I would assume to thaw the pulp, campden it, next day pectin it, next day rack onto it. Any input Is appreciated.

That's about what I would do. I think though you can get away with campden and pectin at the same time so you can save 24 hours.

Yeah, I figured I could have a quicker turnaround on the fruit prep, but why rush it, I have all the time in the world to get it right. My only follow up question now is how much pectin enzyme to use? Again I'm using 5lbs guava pulp, the enzyme I have says 1/2 tsp per gallon must. It's frozen now so I have no idea how liquidous it will be once thawed, but I would reasonably guess about a gallon total volume. Should I use the recommended dosage, or since it is likely going to be more fibrous than I would assume fruit must typically is should I use more? Can you use to much?

Myself I would just throw a teaspoon worth in and call it good. It shouldn't affect your beer overall, I used a tablespoon in a 6#rhubarb and 6# of strawberry for a strawberry rhubarb wheat ale. Head retention was fine and still a relatively clear beer.

I can't find any reason a full teaspoon would hurt and it should give you some insurance on extracting all of the guava juice/flavor. If anything it gives you insurance against pectin haze.

Back