How to use a big mashton for 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primalyeti

Reaction score
Hey all,

My mashton is a 47L rectangular cooler, which is great for bigger batches; but I want to have a go at a 3.75L batch (1 gallon). Any ideas on how I can use the same mashton for this?

Cheers!

I know this doesn't answer the question you're asking.... mainly because I have no idea how to answer it! I don't have a mashtun.

But with a batch that small, why not just BIAB it?

SpentGrains said:
I think you are asking the wrong question, maybe a better question is what can I use for a 1 gallon mash?

^this
In which case the answer would be get a paint strainer bag and do a BIAB.

BIAB, you guys are geniuses!

I didn't even think of that, thank you so much!

Up to how many gallons could you BIAB, or, at what volume would the mashton be a better option that BIAB?

If you still want to consider your mash tun, why not cover the grain bed with some cut-to-size Styrofoam? I was thinking about that since i have a 72qt cooler and might do some smaller/low gravity beers in there.

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe making a removable vertical divider or something

If you still want to consider your mash tun, why not cover the grain bed with some cut-to-size Styrofoam? I was thinking about that since i have a 72qt cooler and might do some smaller/low gravity beers in there.

Up to how many gallons could you BIAB, or, at what volume would the mashton be a better option that BIAB?

Up to as many gallons of water and pounds of grain as you can stuff into your brewpot! Though you might want to leave some head space.

Personally, I have a 5 gallon stock pot for brewing, so I'll do 5-6 lbs. of grain in 2 gallons of water, and then do a pour-over sparge with an additional gallon plus.

Ok, I'm sounding as if I've done this a bunch of times before, and I've only done it once. :)

Back