How to transfer co2 from a 20# tank to a 5# tank??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I think I posted this a long time ago...........

But, is there a way to build a setup that will allow me to fill up a 5# co2 tank from a 20# tank.

I have 2 full 20 pounders. And I just wanna use those up buy filling my 5# tank when it gets low. Instead of always having to take it to the gas supplier, or fire extinguisher shop.

If you have a rig to do this, tell me where to get the parts, and the prices of the parts to make it!

Thanks
Ed

first off. you must be extremely safe around pressurized gas cylinders, particularly those that are in a liquid form. you should also know that no matter how careful you are, accidents still happen, and it only takes one time for it to be fatal.

with that said, i would think you could get a paintball filler for your 20 lb co2 tanks, and invert the tank so you are pulling liquid off of it. modify the filler so you can attach the smaller tank to it, make sure it is on a scale so you don't overfill the tank. if you want to be able to get a better fill, what you do is fill the smaller tank a bit, then release all of the co2. this will chill the tank rapidly, and then start the fill, and you should be able to get a better fill.

you should also know that i've never done this, but in theory it should work, but is still dangerous. if you do attempt to do this, be very careful.

i sorta think it's worth it to just swap the 5 lb tank whenever you need to. i assume you would only use it in a backup situation, so you shouldn't be using it that much anyway.

I'm pretty sure you need a special valve to make the liquid CO2 transfer. I've seen paint ball tanks refilled from a 20#er and they take a valve that will allow liquid to transfer.

Go to your local paintball shop. If they're friendly, I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing the transfer for a few home brews. My local guy did it for nothing, but then again, my son spends a lot of his time & my money there.

LarMoeCur said:
I'm pretty sure you need a special valve to make the liquid CO2 transfer. I've seen paint ball tanks refilled from a 20#er and they take a valve that will allow liquid to transfer.

yes, that's why i told him to invert his 20 lb co2 tanks. the tanks that they normally use for this kind of thing are called siphon tanks, and the valve has a copper tube going to the bottom of the tank, siphoning the liquid, similar to a co2 fire extinguisher. if you invert a 'normal' co2 tank, it does the same thing, effectively, it is just a pain because you have to invert it.

Thanks guys. I think im just gonna see If I can trade one of my 20# tanks for two 5# tanks. If I can get a place that is willing to do a trade like that.

That way I always have a couple of back ups. It ALWAYS sucks when you run out of gas pressure at 2am, and you desprately need a beer after working a long night at the county jail.

I live about 6 blocks from a HBS, but they charge 2 bucks a pound to fill tanks. I don't really give them much business because the chagr 25%-50% more then my main HBS that I frequent across town. It is nice to go there for emergency yeast runs, or last minute brew day prep.

I don't wanna screw with it If there is no safe way to do it at home in my garage. I guess I'll just let the pros with the expensive equipment fill them.

I have seen a gas tank fall over before, back in high school auto shop. It shot like a torpedo through a sheet rock wall, and almost took out a few people.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Ed

i think a better option would be to find another 20 lb tank. going to two tanks for half the capacity does not sound like an upgrade to me, but to each his own...

it's a space issue. i could easily drill a hole through the side of the fridge and use one of the 20lb tanks. but..........i would rather keep a small one stowed away inside the fridge with the two cornies.

One of the 20lb tanks I NEVER use, and the other a have an extra regulator and ball lock connects for it. I use to pop seal cornies when filling, cleaning, satitising, and oxygen purging.

I have posted my extra 20lb tank on craigslist and on the listserve email forum through my brewclub, to see if anyone would like to trade me for two 5lb'ers. But I have yet to get a reply back from anyone.

try your local airgas to see if they can do anything for you too.

i recently traded a 5lb co2 tank for a 20 cf oxygen tank, and i have two spare 20 lb tanks i plan on trading for an extra beergas, a 40 cf nitrogen, and a 20 cf oxygen tank if i can (they may not be willing, but i'll try!). the people i've dealt with at airgas are pretty nice people and willing to work with you, at least here in austin. give it a try!

Not even reading the comments. This whole thread spells bad idea all over it. Just exchange/fill your c02 tanks, its cheap enough!

I think its a great idea from a cost perspective however you should make sure your co2 tank has the siphon tube because if you should over pressurize the the inverted tank and the relief valve opens there is a good chance it will freeze open.

The differance in cost beetween a 5lb and 20 here is 20 bucks...$30 for the 5 and $50 for the 20. I can fill the 5 lb 3 times with the 20. With enuf left for some force carbs
You do the math...then go buy the hose.
Cheers!!
Link below

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_20_312&products_id=3311
Use this link!!!
screw ends on each tank
Open 5 lb "chilled" tank
Slowly open 20 lb
Use a scale...at 4 lbs or so close 20lb tank valve...close 5lb valve
Slowly unscrew tank valve to release pressure...
Done
Use a siphon tube 20 pound tank only...if u don't have it then next time exchange it for one that has it. If an inverted tank relief valve opens it could potentially freeze open. Unlikely, but safety first!! ( I have inverted the tank to fill with no problems but next time I swap I will ask for the siphon tube one) You don't have to invert a tank with the siphon hose. Plus..who wants to hold that heavy tank while twisting knobs anyway!
The other suppliers transfer hose is almost 2 times the cost. At 70 bucks or so it seems you'll be at buy one 5 lb get one free in no time.
I hope that answers the original posters question

Of course, there is always a cheaper better way..you find it, post it.

Cheers

Back