How to store grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceroadbrew

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just wondering any advice to store some 2 row or other malted grain. I have a big plastic bin with a 25kg bag of 2 row and 2 ziplock bags of some other stuff I just purchased a couple weeks ago from a home brew store. I'm going to be brewing my first batch now later than expected (1 - 2 months away) because of being away for work. Should I vacuum seal all of this grain with the food saver or leave as is?

Thanks a bunch

If it's not crushed, you can just store it in an airtight container. A lot of people store their bulk uncrushed grains in those big flip-top kibble keepers, but that's overkill I think. Some clean 5 gallon buckets with tight fitting lids work well, like the kind from home depot.

IF it is crushed, get as much air out as possible and toss it in the freezer. Foodsaver vacuum bags would be best, so as close to that as you can get.

Greatly appreciated!! Can't wait this arctic brew started although boiling wort in January -30c temps I can wait for!

I've got about 400lbs of grain on hand right now, all in home depot buckets. They stack easily, seal airtight and are cheap. I thought about going with dog food containers, but at 5x the price I couldn't justify it, and they aren't easily stackable.

demon said:
i've got about 400lbs of grain on hand right now, all in home depot buckets. They stack easily, seal airtight and are cheap. I thought about going with dog food containers, but at 5x the price i couldn't justify it, and they aren't easily stackable.

+1

I store mine in about 13.75 quarts of water at 158 degrees for 45 minutes.

Really I have mine in large plastic containers. I have stored for 2 months, beer was great.

I keep mine in 30 gallon steel barrels with locking seal lids. I get them at work. Works nice, holds 100 -150 pounds of grains in bags.

I store mine in 5 gallon Lowes buckets with gasketed lids. I've heard of people storing uncrushed grain for at least a year and still making good beer with it.

I store mine in 5 gallon Lowes buckets with gasketed lids. I've heard of people storing uncrushed grain for at least a year and still making good beer with it.

I'm considering going this route but I'm worried that they aren't food safe. I read that if a bucket is stamped HDPE and not stamped food safe, then you should assume it isn't. I've been looking for some food safe bags to line them with but haven't been successful finding ones that big.

Is that overkill?

I bought one of those Vittles Vaults yesterday and it isn't airtight and thank god because I have a hard time spending that much money on a grain storage container.

Any help would be appreciated. I just bought 2 sacks and I'm brewing next week so I'd like to have some containers by then.

Back