How to start the switch to electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbloom1989

Reaction score
I currently am running a couple propane burner with 2 kegs and a 15 gallon boil kettle. I am working on a stand but I am coming to the realization that it would be much simpler to cut out the gas and fire and just work with heating elements for my HLT and boil kettle. I am also in the process of buying pumps to top off my system. My issue comes with my inexperience with wiring and safety. I understand how to use angle grinders and can build any part of my system, but I'm not sure how to learn this part of my build. I am fine with manual operation and I don't need a control panel. So how do I start? The only necessary parts I need are the heading elements and pumps. As long are those are powered I can do the rest. Any advice would be great, thanks!

I built my entire system using the information from this site: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com which is an excellent resource and they have a exhaustive downloadable guide to the build. Another great resource is http://www.ebrewsupply.com. You can buy parts or pieces from both sites or use the references to source your own. Plus, this forum is great for asking questions and getting answers.

I'm about to switch from gas to electric too, to foster moving my brewing inside. You don't need to go full blown from the start. You can add electric elements to your kettle/HLT and just do an analog control for the temp. That keeps the cost down a lot.

After a LOT of reading and researching I think I have settled on doing analog controls for a HLT and Boil kettle like a few of you suggested. I think that is a really good place to start. I have a few things I am saving for at this time but once I get my pumps, the electric elements will be very short to follow.

One last question for anyone experienced in this matter... I am not an experienced electrician and I am not sure what my garage setup would currently handle. I want to make sure that whatever I build is transferable to another place as I may be moving in the next few years. I feel that 120v elements are the way to go for this so that I can use a standard three pronged plug (perhaps get a really good surge protector and have my pumps and heating elements all connected to this). The issue i see is that most people dont do this type of setup. I more or less see many people doing the 240v as it is more convenient, and seems to be the norm. So, would this type of setup work based on the electric portion? I am just concerned that I will just overload my breaker constantly and not be able to run what I need to.

So just to review, my proposed setup (2 120v elements in a HLT and 2 120v elements in my boil kettle, as well as 2 transfer pumps) I believe the breaker for my garage is either 20 or 30 amps. I would have to flip to be sure.

Edit: Also I have seen a few 120 volt 3000 watt heating elements that I feel would be able to run my system (sub 15 gallon batches, mostly less than 10 TBH). I am reading that it is pulling like 25 amps, so maybe only run one coil at a time, but would my pumps be able to run? As I as said before, mainly looking to be able to transfer this system to a new place with out having to install a 240v breaker just for brewing : (

If your goal is to have a panel that will be flexible in different locations, then you should rule out a 120v 3000w element, as a circuit rated for that is uncommon. Go with 2 1500w elements on separate 15a circuits, or 2 2000w elements on separate 20a circuits.

You could run one 1500w element and a pump or two on one circuit and another element on a different circuit.
You will not be able to run both elements on a single circuit, let alone all plugged into a surge protector.

So because I am pretty unfamiliar with how it all works, when you said use two separate circuits you mean electricity from two separate breakers correct? I have read other people being told to do that as well, but I'm a little unsure how to accomplish it. Would I just run an extension cord from inside or something?

The biggest issue will be how close to your electric panel or a 220 volt source will be. Being military, I lived in many houses where 220 v was not very accessible for brewing without paying a lot of money for wire, so I was stuck with using propane.

Heater elements use two poles (hot wires) from the panel and no neutral (for the 220v ones). 120 volt loads use a hot and a neutral. Don't forget you want to be using GFCI protected circuits.

You should check out www.theelctricbrewery.com for some ideas, but in all honesty, you probably shouldn't build what you want. Without knowing anything about electricity you are asking for trouble. Electricity can kill if you don't know what you are you are doing.

I would suggest getting help from a local brew club member or buying one of High Gravity Brewing's pre-built system.

So because I am pretty unfamiliar with how it all works, when you said use two separate circuits you mean electricity from two separate breakers correct? I have read other people being told to do that as well, but I'm a little unsure how to accomplish it. Would I just run an extension cord from inside or something?

Yes, two separate breakers. An extension cord from an outlet on a different breaker would work. Just make sure it is a heavy duty cord.

Well thanks for all the information guys! Gives me a good jumping off point, gonna try to learn a little more before I go too deep but I'm excited to start!

I was in the same boat when i built my eBIAB system. Reading though a lot of posts on this site and theelectricbrewery.com, I found enough info to get my rig built. I use two 20a 120v circuits to run two 2000w elements in my kettle. The link below is my build thread. Take a look at my wiring diagram, it may help clear things up if your thinking about using two 120v circuits. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jenglish-ebiab-dual-2000w-120v-recirculating-build-439957/

I was in the same boat when i built my eBIAB system. Reading though a lot of posts on this site and theelectricbrewery.com, I found enough info to get my rig built. I use two 20a 120v circuits to run two 2000w elements in my kettle. The link below is my build thread. Take a look at my wiring diagram, it may help clear things up if your thinking about using two 120v circuits. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jenglish-ebiab-dual-2000w-120v-recirculating-build-439957/

That looks like a pretty good way for the OP to go if he has a limited electrical background. Depending on how the brewing room is wired, you may have to use an extension cord an install gfci outlets. You will need two separate circuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This may be obvious, but make sure that the two outlets you use are actually on separate circuits.
Simple check, just turn off the breaker, plug something into the outlet to make sure there is no power, then plug something in the other outlet to verify there is power.

Awesome, that diagram will be super helpful. I've been going through old forums and YouTube videos making sure I so things correctly the first time to make sure I don't have to go back and change my setup. Also ensuring that I stay safe so I don't kill myself.

Latest posts

Back