How to siphon JAOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jug3049

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch that I started not too long ago, but i'm curious how to siphon it out when the time comes. Since there is so much stuff in it that isn't liquid (a whole orange, several raisins, etc.), do I just siphon it like I would anything else?

Basically yes.

If you followed recipe and used bread yeast then if possible, while fermenting make sure it is placed in the spot you want to siphon it from. If you can't then once the fruit drops to the bottom then move the jug to where you want to siphon it and give it about 3 days before siphoning. Just slightly moving the jug always seems to re suspend some yeast.

Also just be ready to have losses. The liquid level is safe to siphon from about an inch above the fruit. If you want the remaining bit then siphon that into a two liter bottle and place that in the fridge. Suck up all the liquid you can leaving behind the fruit and most of the lees. After about a week in the fridge the yeast will settle our of that last bit and settle so you can siphon that clear liquid.

Yeah, bread yeast was used and i'm starting to regret it. If I do it again, what yeast is generally recommended?

I have Montrachet and EC1118 on hand, I think is their names

For a JAOM... Nothing but bread yeast. That is all that will work and no other.

If you want another orange mead or something different that uses a wine yeast I can point you in the right direction or give you a recipe but just changing the yeast in JAOM is not recommended. I speak from experience on that. Even if you get a proper yeast it still is often a pain to balance out the JAOM and fix what the bread yeast would have already done.

Let me know what you want in a mead and ill point you in another direction.

Yeah, bread yeast was used and i'm starting to regret it. If I do it again, what yeast is generally recommended?

I have Montrachet and EC1118 on hand, I think is their names
Bread yeast ! Just like the recipe states........

change the yeast and it finishes dry, and you find out why it's not a good dry recipe.....:D

Back