How to Set my Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeph00

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
I recently bought a 2 row grain mill. I am curious as to what exactly I am looking for to set it properly for my grains. It has adjustments on both sides of the roller, from 0.1 opening down to 0.03.
I am brewing on a Brewzilla 3.1.1.
So, how do I set it properly and what am I looking for in my grains?
Thank you.

Get yourself a set of feeler gauges. Use that to set the gap, not the markings on the mill itself. You want the kernel inside to be crushed, but you want the husk as intact as possible to help with sparging. Set your gap for 0.033" for barley malt, and 0.025" for anything huskless (e.g., wheat, rye). That will be a good starting point, then adjust on later brews: finer if you want higher efficiency, coarser if you're having sparge problems.

Get yourself a set of feeler gauges. Use that to set the gap, not the markings on the mill itself. You want the kernel inside to be crushed, but you want the husk as intact as possible to help with sparging. Set your gap for 0.033" for barley malt, and 0.025" for anything huskless (e.g., wheat, rye). That will be a good starting point, then adjust on later brews: finer if you want higher efficiency, coarser if you're having sparge problems.
Okay, thats very helpful. I'm also wondering, When I am sparging with my Brewzilla, how long should that take? 5 minutes? 20 minutes?

Latest posts

Back