How to save this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duboman

Reaction score
So I just bottled up my German Hefeweizen that I used WY3068 for. I have a nice yeast cake sitting on the bottom of the bucket and would like to be able to save it for a future batch. After bottling, since we stirred up a bit of the yeast I sealed the primary back up after racking and placed it back in my "cold" room to settle it back out. There is about 1/4" of beer sitting on top.

What is the safest way to remove this cake from the bottom of the bucket? Since there is some beer on it should I just collect the entire slurry?

Can I store the yeast in a clean and sanitized mason jar in the fridge?

How long can I expect to keep the yeast for before needing to use it?

How much of this yeast should I consider using for the next batch in a starter? The cake is easily an inch thick with very little hop debris.

I've never done this before and would like to learn the proper ways of doing this so I can begin creating an inventory of my yeast?

There is a very good thread on washing yeast here. Not only will it show you how to clean any trub and other non-yeast material, but how to save it into multiple mason jars so you can reuse the yeast several times.

Thanks for the reply, after reading through some of this information this is a LOT more involved than what I was thinking and requires a lot more equipment, etc than I was anticipating. Is it not really a good idea to just save some of the cake in a fridge for a couple months for the next batch? I fully understand the need for cleanliness and sanitizing which is no problem. I am not looking to become a professional yeast microbiologist, just looking to re-use some yeast and be cheap.LOL :}

Thanks, this is much more in line with what I was looking for but is it really necessary to wash the yeast, I have read a bit from some people who feel that this is not really necessary, particularly if the beer to be made is going to be the same as the original batch?

duboman, the washing technique I referenced actually isn't that hard. I did it myself for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it went quite well. The only thing I had to purchase new were the mason jars. I used an old gallon wine jug that I usually use for starters as the larger jar.

As for not washing the yeast and just saving it as is, if you are going to brew relatively soon, you can just keep it cold (maybe decant it all into a starter jug for convenience. I've done it a number of times without a problem. The longer you wait, of course, the lower the viability of your yeast the greater likelihood you need a starter.

duboman, the washing technique I referenced actually isn't that hard. I did it myself for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it went quite well. The only thing I had to purchase new were the mason jars. I used an old gallon wine jug that I usually use for starters as the larger jar.

As for not washing the yeast and just saving it as is, if you are going to brew relatively soon, you can just keep it cold (maybe decant it all into a starter jug for convenience. I've done it a number of times without a problem. The longer you wait, of course, the lower the viability of your yeast the greater likelihood you need a starter.

Very cool! :) I do plan on re-brewing this once I get a good taste of the frst batch and I do plan on making a starter as well so this works out great! Thanks! I will consider the other options when dealing with a more common yeast I regularly use :)

You had agar agar sitting around? Did you mean to link to the slanting sticky or the washing sticky?

Ive washed the yeast but unless you have a ton of hops in the cake, I don't even wash it anymore and so far I've had a 100% success rate. I refill my White Yeast vials with pure trub and refrigerate until I'm ready for the starter.

Just FYI multiple times came across info that wheat yeasts mutate fast and quite often are not good past 2-3 generations

Yup, thanks, I am aware, probably gonna do 1 more Hefe and another wheat and be done, placed 2 pints in the fridge today! Appreciate all the help!

Latest posts

Back