How To Remove The Freezer Box Section?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
kegproject11.jpg

So I ran into a snag on my kegerator conversion. I went to take out the top freezer box and realized it has a hard plastic tube feeding into it. FFFFUUUUUoh shoot. Is there anyway to safely remove this unit or do I have to call a refrigerator repair man to remove it?

I won’t have room for the taps if I leave it in unless I remove the door to the unit, have the shank be in the freezer unit, drill a hole through the box and have the tubes go through the hole. But at that point wouldn’t the lines freeze?

See those swirls on the bottom pan of the freezer section?

Those are the freon coils. Many of the upright freezer on top models use the freezer box to cool the fridge box. Just like a dorm fridge but on a bigger scale.

Remove the box and you have removed the chiller plate. You "might" be able to cut away the tops and side (if there are no coils in those walls) and lay the bottom down flat against the back of the frisdge.

See those swirls on the bottom pan of the freezer section?

Those are the freon coils. Many of the upright freezer on top models use the freezer box to cool the fridge box. Just like a dorm fridge but on a bigger scale.

Remove the box and you have removed the chiller plate. You "might" be able to cut away the tops and side (if there are no coils in those walls) and lay the bottom down flat against the back of the frisdge.

Yep, T know what the coils are (didn't relise they would lend to chilling the whole unit though), that's why I stopped. Sh*t, this royally screws up my plans...the top has the coils too. What about the drilling through the box where the coils are not at, like the bottom but a few inches from one of the coils, and having the tubes go through there (like I was wondering in my first post).

Doc Robinson tried something similar and his lines froze shut. I think he built a false wall with insulation to protect the lines.

If the coils aren't built into the walls of the box (meaning tubes sandwiched between plastic) as channels you might be able to delaminate the box.

Doc Robinson tried something similar and his lines froze shut. I think he built a false wall with insulation to protect the lines.

If the coils aren't built into the walls of the box (meaning tubes sandwiched between plastic) as channels you might be able to delaminate the box.

It looks like there's a tube coming out of the refridgerator back wall:
kegproject12.jpg

This goes up and connects into the top of the freezer box:
kegproject13.jpg

Now keep in mind, this isn't a dorm style refridgerator. It's a full size one with coils on the inside walls.

Back