How to put an anvil temp controller temperature probe in a t fitting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I have one of these little anvil temperature controllers that you plug into the wall and then plug your heating element into it. It has a temperature probe that is at the end of an insulated nine and a half foot wire. I was wondering if anyone knows a way that I could install it in a half inch NPT T-fitting so, I can tell what the temp is that is actually coming out of the tank.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wj6kvLiv5z0AhXWpJ4KHXFXB8UQwg96BAgBEDo&adurl=

How about this instead of a tee? This solution puts the metal of that probe directly in contact with the fluid and eliminates some threads too.

1637081713186.png

How about this instead of a tee? This solution puts the metal of that probe directly in contact with the fluid and eliminates some threads too.

View attachment 749169

Here is the HLT. I already have a 3 way Tee on it. Now, that you showed me the fitting you showed me, where would you suggest I install it? I was thinking of getting a 4 way tee and when you showed me that fitting I thought, why not get a compression fitting with o-rings in it to hold the probe. Maybe I'm just totally missing it.
1637085304161.png

Hmm, in that case I'd probably just make you a new tee with that compression spud welded to the back of it. It would essentially make it a "cross" but one port would be that compression piece. You can't thread a fitting into a stock cross because that metal capsule on the probe wire is too short to get through all that.

1637087397943.png

Last edited:
So, the cross and a threaded in compression fitting would be too long to put the probe in the path of the water and that would make a incorrect temperature reading?

Last edited:
Will this fitting and circulating the HLT (like, we talked about earlier) be all I need to insure that the water will be all the same temp in the HLT and make sure the water flowing into the mash tun will be at the expected temp?
Can I visit your site and throw a few more things in that box, all for the same $8.65

Ok.
Do you have it all welded up or was that just a picture you had? Just wondering how long it would be to get from New Jersey to me.
Anyway, I'm testing the HLT right now with a cane dropped in it running from the little pump on it and you seem to be pretty damn right to me. It doesn't seem to matter where I put the cane in the water level or where I put it around the perimeter of the pot. As long as there is water flow it seems that the stirring action alone is enough to keep it from stratifying.
Will you set it up on your website or will I be able to find that fitting and just throw things in the box until the shipping price changes because of the weight? Or, how do we do this?

Back