How to:priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanbean

Reaction score
Hi y'all. Newbie here. Want to know if I should pour my priming sugar into 5gal bucket or into each bottle?
Also what is correct amount.
The directions I have , have been very wrong do far.

find a priming calculator, i use northern brewer's website. I also pour the priming solution into my bottling bucket and then rack my beer allowing the flow of the beer to mix the whole solution together.

To each their own I guess, but I dissolved mine in about 2 cups boiling water then let cool covered until it's room temp then add that to you bottling bucket and add your beer on top of that, stir very gently you don't want to introduce oxygen into your brew just mix in the sugars. Bottle and wait. Try a bottle every week or so until it's what you want and then enjoy!

What gets me about this calculation is that the volume of beer is presumably the volume of beer that actually ends up in the bottling bucket but if you put the sugar solution in the bottling bucket first how can you tell how much beer is going to end up in the bottling bucket ahead of time?

What gets me about this calculation is that the volume of beer is presumably the volume of beer that actually ends up in the bottling bucket but if you put the sugar solution in the bottling bucket first how can you tell how much beer is going to end up in the bottling bucket ahead of time?

A good reason to use glass carboys and to put volume markings on them. But if you are using a bucket you can make a good guess, or will be able to after a couple of batches.

One trick I used was to hold a flash light to the markings outside the bucket. I could see where the darker line was when looking inside so I was able to get a good idea of the beer level in relation to the mark. Subtract .3 or so gallon for yeast and trub left in the bottom of the bucket and plug that number into the calculator. You will be close enough.

These are all aspects of refining your process, you need to know what your volume to be bottled will be, then on that volume my rule if thumb is .8oz per imperial gallon , mix this amount of sugar into a solution in boiling water ( about half a pint ) put this solution when cool into the bottling bucket, then swirl your brew into it , mixing itself in as it goes, without any bubbles, like a continuous dilution, then bottle.

Have a brewers best bottling bucket. It's filled to the 5gal mark.
What gets me is that the directions say pour the sugar straight into bucket and stir and bottle

Have a brewers best bottling bucket. It's filled to the 5gal mark.
What gets me is that the directions say pour the sugar straight into bucket and stir and bottle

Have you already racked out of the fermentor or did you ferment in the bottling bucket?

Don't follow the instructions as will possibly do as I did my first time and end up will sugar at the bottom of the bottling bucket. As mentioned above boil a cup of water and add the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Then add the liquid syrup to the bottling bucket, stir gently if the beer is already in the bucket. Bottle

If the beer is not already in the bucket I like to put the sugar in the bucket first an then rack onto it as that helps to stir the mixture without any additional stirring which can lead to more oxidation.

Yea. I fermented in the fermenter.
Then racked to the bottling bucket. It has day in fridge for a week.
Guess I will try to water /sugar mix.
Won't that dilute the alcohol content

Yea. I fermented in the fermenter.
Then racked to the bottling bucket. It has day in fridge for a week.
Guess I will try to water /sugar mix.
Won't that dilute the alcohol content

you are only adding about cup to a 5 gallon batch. I don't think you will notice the alcohol dilution. But if it worries you, just add a shot of vodka to when you pour the bottle. :cross:

Ok. Just finished the bottling. And only lost one. Due to : well honestly, virgin brewer. Haha.
Everything went ok. Dissolved one bag of priming sugar from brewers best kit into 2 cups water. Cooled to a chill. Then added into another 5gal bucket with the sugar solution. Stirred gently. And bottled.

Guess I should give it at least 4 days before drinking?
That's the muntons directions. And so far it's been very very misleading.

Yes, at least 4. Seriously, who writes this stuff. Since you cold crashed (a good thing) there will be less yeast so it will take a bit. I usually give 2 weeks although not sure all that is necessary. Still give it a week, put a couple in the fridge, try them. If they are carbed like you want put the rest in the fridge and begin drinking.

While waiting keep the bottles in the low 70's if you can. I keep mine in a plastic tub under my desk. (plastic tub in case of bottle bombs the mess is contained)

3 weeks at 70F or a bit more is normal time to carb/condition average gravity beers. Then 5-7 days in the fridge to allow any chill haze to form & settle out while they carb up. You'll get clearer beer with the trub/yeast more compacted on the bottom for a clearer pour.

4 days seems a little too soon. After 7-10 days in (finished) ferm, I cold crash 24 hrs., then add gelatin to clear for 3 more days in CC. Dissolve priming sugar in heated water as directed, let cool, start racking wort to bottling bucket, adding priming mixture slowly as bucket fills, bottle. Super clear beer, perfect carb, zero yeast in bottles. Ditto Union from here.

You will find that the directions in a kit never seem comprehensive enough. That's why there is HBTF!

Thanks!
I have read little about the gelatin. Seen it at the local supply shop.
Next time I will have to try it.

Mean bean, you refer to adding a bag of priming sugar ? How big was the bag ? What was the weight of the sugar ?

Use this priming calculator.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
I can;t believe people still just measure in cups when there's so many awesome calculators around. For this one, you type in the volume of beer you've got, the amount of carbonation you want (gives typical values per style) and your sugar type. It even has molasses honey and maple syrup for priming.

Stop measuring in cups and guessing for 5gals if you have slightly more/less

I the priming sugar at a supply store. I beleive it was 4-6 oz package.
Got a feeling this batch will not taste good.

Well. I tapped a bottle last night and it's decent. Def- a law mower beer. A little more amber/dark than a lager should be. The carbonation is perfect. The finish has a slight hint off an off taste. Not sure what it is. But overall I am happy for a first try. Now it's time to invite some friends and get their thoughts.
Thanks for yAlls advice. My next batch will be brewed with it.

Thanks M00ps for the link to priming sugars. I didn't get any in kit. Seems like anything I could use from the pantry is 1/2 cup. I assume there is a taste able difference between sucrose and honey?

What is cold crash? thanx

Thanks M00ps for the link to priming sugars. I didn't get any in kit. Seems like anything I could use from the pantry is 1/2 cup. I assume there is a taste able difference between sucrose and honey?

What is cold crash? thanx

Cold crash is to put the beer in a refrigerator and get the temp down as cold as possible without freezing for at least 24 hours. This is done after fermentation and conditioning time. For me that is about the three week mark from yeast pitch, for others it could be earlier or later depending on the beer. The purpose is that it causes yeast and some proteins to settle out of the beer and form a compact layer at the bottom. So when you siphon the beer off the yeast layer to bottle or keg it is more clear.

Back