How to Plug Hole in Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a FastFerment conical. The sample port design is terrible in that the threads on the nut are intermittent and allow wort/beer to get trapped in the threads. I found gunk there even after overnighting with Oxiclean.

I want to get rid of the sample port. I don't use it, it's in the way, and if I took it off to clean after every brew I would have to leak test again and again. I was looking for a bulkhead plug and there are a few SS ones out there but not for the 1" hole the sample port required. I ordered a food grade silicone bung but I'm sure I'm missing a better way to solve this.

Thanks
Mike

A picture would help. Also, if these intermittent threads are custom, then you're probably out of luck if you're banking on a commercial fix.

@rhys333 I was looking on Amazon and one valve I see there seem to have fully threaded nut and another that doesn’t. Best bet might be if I can get a new sample port. Here is mine - see how the nut threads are intermittent and allow junk in the threads (and this was just cleaned):

7D59AF5A-AE35-4893-9AB2-F7B5DEC8D151.jpeg

The threads look like normal threads to me. Usually, there's a rubber gasket on connections like this to make sure liquid can't pass through. Did yours include one?

The white gasket is shown in the picture.
That looks nasty AF. I can see why the OP would just as soon get it out of the picture entirely...

Cheers!

I see what you're saying about that nut having the grooves go through the threads. I bet if you found a more traditional nut it would go a long way toward fixing your problem. I just don't know offhand where to find one for pipe thread. A PVC female thread to female glue fitting might screw right on there and completely conceal those threads (be sure to use your seal again with it), leaving just a smooth bore opening into your spigot. You could get one from the hardware store for pennies. The big question is, does your spigot have normal pipe thread? I don't know, but there's a good chance.

That makes me insane. Shame on them.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.titanfittings.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SS-6409
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Merit-B...MInr6mkJyZ6QIVDq_ICh3rqgWfEAQYAyABEgIntfD_BwE
Silicone gasket and a nut on outside might work pretty good.

Hell you might can use the o ring and nut you have on the outside if threads are the same

Thanks - I found that supplier too but unfortunately the 1" plug is like $23.

I see what you're saying about that nut having the grooves go through the threads. I bet if you found a more traditional nut it would go a long way toward fixing your problem. I just don't know offhand where to find one for pipe thread. A PVC female thread to female glue fitting might screw right on there and completely conceal those threads (be sure to use your seal again with it), leaving just a smooth bore opening into your spigot. You could get one from the hardware store for pennies. The big question is, does your spigot have normal pipe thread? I don't know, but there's a good chance.

I have a few questions out to suppliers that have valves that seem to have continuous threads to verify this.

I also think the spigot I have has a metric thread.

Thanks fro the replies.

Thanks - I found that supplier too but unfortunately the 1" plug is like $23.

I have a few questions out to suppliers that have valves that seem to have continuous threads to verify this.

I also think the spigot I have has a metric thread.

Thanks fro the replies.

You balk at $23 to fix your fermentor? There are a lot of costs to brewing, and this seems a pretty small cost to fix your equipment. (though, I don't think that fix would be much better).

I'd suggest just buying one without the port instead of throwing more money at questionable solutions. Perhaps you can offset the cost of the new one by selling the old.

You balk at $23 to fix your fermentor? There are a lot of costs to brewing, and this seems a pretty small cost to fix your equipment. (though, I don't think that fix would be much better).

I'd suggest just buying one without the port instead of throwing more money at questionable solutions. Perhaps you can offset the cost of the new one by selling the old.

I agree - I really liked this FF for a quite a while before recently having the two bad batches. So yeah throwing $30-$40 to patch the hole doesn't seem reasonable since it still could be an issue. I do have an inquiry into FastBrewing about purchasing the conical only. Plus this also has me looking at maybe purchasing a new fermenter like the Anvil Bucket Fermenter but really drooling over the Spike Flex+.

Thanks
Mike

Latest posts

Back