How to move brewing equipment which ain'tl light....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
I'm needing to start thinking about how to move a soon-to-be large ass piece of brewing related equipment (still brewing 5 gallons, just super-beefy). To my friggin amazement, the piece will weigh in somewhere between 700-1000 lbs. Knowing this, the welder is adding some eye-holes that could be used to lift the mofo if we had a crane (which I don't). So now I'm stuck in knowing how to move this. I'm going to move it across town first, and then across half the country where I'm soon moving to. If you were me, what would you be looking into for each leg of this trip.

Well depends on what you have. For me I'd probably buy an engine lift. I already have a truck I could put it in to transport it, but to get it in and out I'd have to either rig something beefy to the rafters... or use an engine lift. The lift could even be taken apart and put in the truck to unload elsewhere.

Other idea is to get some good sturdy ramps, make sure the thing is on wheels and load and unload the truck/trailer that way. Would be really nice to have winch attached to the truck/trailer in the front.

Ok, I've got to ask; how did you manage to get a 5 gallon brewpot that weights 700 lb? Collapsed matter dip tube? :D

It makes lots of 5 gallons...

What about making a gantry crane. Looks simple in design, welding definitely isn't a problem, and caster city makes it portable.... word bubbles out loud....

Wow! I can't wait for the description thread!

But to get it from point A to B, a trailer would be good. Low to the ground and you might even be able to put a dolly or casters on the system and roll (winch) it up a ramp.

You're planning on putting this in a garage or other ground level area?

Close.... but not a BK, instead a glycol chiller tank... From top down, MT, HLT, and glycol chiller tank. All insulated and wrapped together in one BIG HEAVY COMBI Tank. Just finished the control panel. And it only adds another 75 pounds (empty of any electronics)...

Back