How to keg 1/2, bottle 1/2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violins

Reaction score
I'm just getting into kegging and I got a couple of small kegs. I plan to fill one keg and then bottle the rest. What is the best way to do that?
I normally add the bottling sugar into the bucket when I transfer, and then fill the bottles from that. I don't need (or want) to add sugar to the keg since I can force carb it.
I assume I do that first and then add sugar to what is left in the bucket before I bottle the rest? I don't want to oxidize the beer. So what is the best proceedure to avoid that?

He said he has a small keg, so I'm guessing that's either 2 or 3 gal. So I'd fill the keg and force carb it and then add 2/5 or 3/5 (depending on the size of your keg) of the amount of priming sugar you'd use for a 5gal batch and bottle as normal.

Or if your small keg is really 5gal, then I'd do what ohiobrewtus suggested and use the BMBF.

I've got 3 gallon kegs.
I guess I can add the sugar, and just try to not get too much air in when stirring, right?

Why not rack from your fermenter directly into your keg. Once your keg is full then move your tube over to your bottling bucket with an appropriate amount of priming sugar.

Another alternative, which I have done before. Is to use carb tabs in each bottle. I do this when I've got more than a kegs worth of beer to bottle.

+1 to the BMBF! this was the best $1.50 ever spent! :ban:

+1 again...BUT....
READ READ READ...BierMunchers post. Beer MUST be 37, Bottles MUST be frozen, and only 5 PSI to dispense.
You should also check out EdWorts post about using the BMBF. He has some great tips that will help you avoid a sticky stinky mess.

To the original question. Use 1 oz of priming sugar (boiled in 1/4 sup of water) per gallon of beer.
Try to stir GENTLY to mix in the sugar water very well before you bottle.

Back