How to interpret Mash instructions from Brew Smith for BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am about to do my first BIAB, switching from Extract. I am doing a Wit and have used BeerSmith (also for the first time) to calculate the recipe. I get the overall method as far as BIAB is concerned, but was a bit confused as to what the Mash details from BrewSmith meant. It is telling me to:

0 Min - Saccharification (10 min rise, hold 64.4 C for 90 min
- Add 28.20l of water at 67.0 C
1:40 hours - Mash Out (7 min rise, hold 75.6C for 10 mi)
- Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min
1:57 - Mash Complete

Okay, so does this mean that I add the cold water and the grains in the bag to the pot, raise the temperature to 64.4C - which should take 10 minutes - and then hold it at that temp for 90 minutes, then increase the temp to 75.6 and hold that for 10 min?

Or, does it mean I heat the water to 67.0C first, then add the grain - which will lower the temp to 64.4C - and then hold at that temp until 90 minutes before continuing as stated.

The grains being used are 50% Torrified Wheat, 40% NZ Pilsen 2-Row Malt, 10% Flaked Oats.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have something drinkable at the end of all this!

It says to bring the 28.2L of water up to 67C, position the bag in the pot and add your grain. Then rest it for 90 mins. In other words, you should end up at 64.4 after adding the grain to the 67C water. You'll need to experiment with this though. You might over or under shoot it depending on your grain temp and how much you need to stir to get the dough balls out.

Bring the mash up to 75.6C as quickly as you can, hold it for 10 mins.

Pull out bag and let it drain.

I could be way off here, but I have my doubts there's enough enzymatic power in 50% pilsner malt to convert 50% adjuncts.

There should be "enough", but it will certainly take longer than a typical mash. 90 minutes is probably ok. That's gonna be some gummy wort. Or maybe OP meant it's 50% wheat malt, not torrified wheat.

Hi there,

I am about to do my first BIAB, switching from Extract. I am doing a Wit and have used BeerSmith (also for the first time) to calculate the recipe. I get the overall method as far as BIAB is concerned, but was a bit confused as to what the Mash details from BrewSmith meant. It is telling me to:

0 Min - Saccharification (10 min rise, hold 64.4 C for 90 min
- Add 28.20l of water at 67.0 C
1:40 hours - Mash Out (7 min rise, hold 75.6C for 10 mi)
- Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min
1:57 - Mash Complete

Okay, so does this mean that I add the cold water and the grains in the bag to the pot, raise the temperature to 64.4C - which should take 10 minutes - and then hold it at that temp for 90 minutes, then increase the temp to 75.6 and hold that for 10 min?

Or, does it mean I heat the water to 67.0C first, then add the grain - which will lower the temp to 64.4C - and then hold at that temp until 90 minutes before continuing as stated.

The grains being used are 50% Torrified Wheat, 40% NZ Pilsen 2-Row Malt, 10% Flaked Oats.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have something drinkable at the end of all this!

First thing you do is close Beersmith and never open it again! It is a PITA for Biab. Water volumes are way wrong!

Latest posts

Back