How to get the most pumpkin flavor into a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I know there have been several threads on this but none of them seemed to answer the question. I have read several dozen articles online and they all seem to say different things. The only thing that seems to be consistent is they all say to roast the pumpkin at 325F for a hour or so. Many also say to put brown sugar on top.

Other than that I have heard:

Use all the pumpkin in the mash just like a grain
Mash the pumpkin on its own in water and then add that to the mash
Boil all of it for 60 mins
Add at various times like hops
Add all of it to the end of the boil
Adding pumpkin to any part of the boil will set the pectins and ruin your beer
Add pumpkin to the fermenter
Make a pumpkin tea and add that at packaging
Use pectic enzyme to break down the starches
Adding pectic enzyme is unnecessary

Who do I believe??

If anybody can give me some science I would be ecstatic but, barring that, If you can just tell me what you do with your pumpkin beers, why you do it, and how much pumpkin flavor and aroma you get (actual pumpkin, not spice) then I would be grateful.

P.S. I am going to use a belgian yeast that will hopefully produce a lot of clovely, spicy phenolics. I hope to not use spices at all, and if I do, I will make a tincture and add them very sparingly to the fermenter. Also, think allspice, clove, vanilla. I get sick of cinnamon and nutmeg.

I roasted my pumpkin @ 325 for about an hour (until soft). I tried it both with and without brown sugar -- I think I liked it better with. I've heard of people adding it to the boil, but haven't tried it.

I don't use any spices. I used Lallemand Belle Saison yeast, and my "harvest saison" has become a house favorite.

You can also use different types of squash -- butternut is good.

I roasted my pumpkin @ 325 for about an hour (until soft). I tried it both with and without brown sugar -- I think I liked it better with. I've heard of people adding it to the boil, but haven't tried it.

I don't use any spices. I used Lallemand Belle Saison yeast, and my "harvest saison" has become a house favorite.

You can also use different types of squash -- butternut is good.

I assume you add it to the mash? Also, How much do you use per 5 gal and do you get identifiable pumpkin flavor in the finished beer?

I use 8 lbs, and yes, I put it in the mash. After roasting, I cut it up into small pieces, removing the skin. You will want to use rice hulls to lessen the likelihood of a stuck mash.

The pumpkin flavor isn't real strong. Next time, I'll probably use more -- maybe 12 lbs. Also, limit your specialty malts, and ferment at a cooler temperature. Pumpkin has a pretty mild flavor, so you don't want anything to mask that.

Back