How to get rid of all the sediment on the bottom of the bottle? Does racking help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoogles

Reaction score
Question is in the title. I understand that bottle conditioned beers are going to have yeast on the bottom but it seems like a lot of my beers seem to have TONS of sediment.

Would racking to a secondary help with this? Thanks!

Jon

It might help some. Cold crashing helps too, I cold crash in the primary most of the time. Be careful when racking to bottling bucket as well. You can get crazy with filters if you want, but the sediment doesnt bother me that much.

How long are you doing primary fermentation? I moved to a month and that helps a lot with letting things settle out. A lot of it can be how you rack your beers also. I sucked up a bunch of trub when bottling my California Common since the yeast was low flocculation. The first bottle probably was the last bottled one and had 1/2 inch of trub or so.

Besides that, I move it to the counter to let it sit overnight before racking to the bottling bucket so anything can settle out after movement.

I probably need to secondary my German altbier, and possibly should have on my California Common, but otherwise I haven't bothered with secondary much lately.

Yes, racking into a secondary would help. But also try Irish moss in the last 15 min of your boil and moving your fermenter to wherever you rack your beer a few hours before before you transfer to allow for settling. The longer the better. My fermentation schedule is One week primary, Two weeks in secondary, bottle, wait three weeks, drink. But keep in mind that doesn't apply with all beers.

I use Irish moss and I secondary. I've done secondary and no secondary, and I get more trub if I don't secondary. Now, I always use one.

I also just typed "secondary" a lot.

I only use a primary fermenter. At the end of fermentation I put my fermenter in a freezer at 38F for a week. I rack off that and my beers come out very clear with no trub.

One thing though...remove your old airloc and replace with a clean empty one. Use tinfoil and a rubber ban to cap it. If you dont you will suck back your airloc fluid into the beer when it cools.

Back